Using Chainsaw Sharpener grinder or just a file....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOSETRAX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thought of getting myself a Tacomac (Windsor) chain sharpener. Is the machine grinder for chain really necessary or probably better sharpening with files. ? I do have to clear some land during the season means have to cut down quite a few trees. Does it save time & effort using the machine. Your thoughts appreciated.

Though I've never used a grinder I see absolutely no need whatsoever for one. None. 0. My chains are very sharp and self-feeding whenever I want/need them to be. And it takes only minutes to make them that way with files. And I can sharpen anywhere, anytime. So there.

haha.

others will disagree for unknown reasons.

Hey, Moose!

Some years ago I broke down and purchased a grinder. This came in very handy, since I grind chains for about 10 private customers. Some of these guys bring in 30 chains at a time. However, I find that I prefer filing my own chains, since it's very therapeutic, and helps give me a 10 minutes-to-the-hour break in the woods. Additionally, hand filing is a great skill to master, and keeps your chain sharp all day long. I touch up my chains a few times during the cutting day, but swap the chain if I damage it on a rock. Then I regrind it when I'm home again, and touch up the depth gauges.

So, it really depends. If you have 5 or 10 chains, and you file only for yourself, a file is more than adequate. If you need greater capacity and more speed, get a grinder. Otherwise I could not justify the cost of grinding vs. filing. There is a huge difference in price, and cutting with a hand-filed chain is just so rewarding!

My 2c.

Mike

I've never been any good with a file but bought my first grinder when I was 17, Oregon 511 or 510. Sold that when college began and bought a Harbor Freight years later. I'm back to an Oregon now without regret. Make sure your grinder has the tilt for full chisel chain and check the angles if you get one. The angles are likely off a bit and different depending if your vise is tilted for the full chisel. There is an art to grinding. On a large job like you have, buy ten chains and try to sharpen them all the same. Sharpen all the same length on one side, then change your vise and do the other side. Same with knocking down the rakers.

I thought of getting myself a Tacomac (Windsor) chain sharpener. Is the machine grinder for chain really necessary or probably better sharpening with files. ? I do have to clear some land during the season means have to cut down quite a few trees. Does it save time & effort using the machine. Your thoughts appreciated.
The stihl 2N1 can do most now, but bench grinder can help greatly restore a trashed chain that hit metal/other? Light touch, do not overheat.

Back