Using DNA against timber theifs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember watching a '48 Hours' type show (not sure which one) several years back about an unsolved murder. They were able to place a suspect in the crime scene area by some tree pods (or something similar) found in the bed of his pickup truck, The prosecution was based on linking the pods to specific trees in that area, using plant DNA, rather than just being the same type / species, etc.

Philbert

I remember watching a '48 Hours' type show (not sure which one) several years back about an unsolved murder. They were able to place a suspect in the crime scene area by some tree pods (or something similar) found in the bed of his pickup truck, The prosecution was based on linking the pods to specific trees in that area, using plant DNA, rather than just being the same type / species, etc.

Philbert
Sounds like an old NCIS episode.

I saw another article that said the tree dna was so exact the likelihood that this wasn’t a dna match for trees was one in one decillion or one in one and 36 zeros lol.

He still harmed the public far less than the elected officials that shut the state down.

Not saying let him go, just they should be in there with him.

The troll is back. It was nice while it lasted. Is the political forum too boring (as an echo chamber) for you boys?

We tried.
Who are you calling a troll?

You really need to get over yourself, I've always been civil to you and everyone else on this forum. I don't look for fights.

I have also stood up for your right to express your opinion on several topics where I didn't agree with you, but didn't feel that others had a right to tell you to keep quiet.

And this is the thanks I get? I express one opinion, that is germane to the topic of the thread, and you start calling me nasty and telling me to shut up.

Hell, we have chewed the fat at PNW GTG over BBQ and got along fine. Maybe you don't remember, maybe you have me confused with someone else. Either way you're out of line.

I have also never participated in the political forum here to the best of my recollection.

To re-rail this thread: we had a bunch of standing dead maple stolen awhile back. From the debris I found, the spalting and quilting must have been gorgeous. It never showed up for sale anywhere local so we never caught anybody.
dollars to donuts it gets put in containers and sent overseas, likely within a few days of being cut.

I've dealt with a bunch of the "hardwood buyers" and "Figure buyers" Very very few of them are reputable. Even the good ones don't ask a lot of questions when good wood shows up.

I worked with a guy from Pennsylvania when I cut for Columbia Helicopters & he told me about some guys up there that would take a brush truck and a skid steer & wait for a foggy rainy night & drop several cherry trees on public or private property manufacture them into short logs & get out in under an hour. This was when cherry was through the roof & he said if a few of the logs would make veneer grade it would probably net them around 3,000 dollars. I asked if they sold them to some other crooks? He said any mill or log buyer pretty much, then he smiled and said so yes they sold them to other croooks lol. I never asked if he knew who they were.

Been around logging for 30 plus years now, always hear stories about $20000 figured trees (just for 10' of the butt).

Have yet to meet ANYONE thats actually been paid such. Its always a guy in the county over, or a neighbors cousins uncle etc.

Hauled an 8'6" dia maple butt log for a guy, full of figure, direct to the Korean buyers, he got $2500 for it.

Now thats not sayin that figured maple isn't worth some money, just not the mythical $200 per BF that has been thrown about for decades.

Latest posts

Back