Using Drain Snake on 6" Flex Chimney Pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At 69 with 3 back surgeries and arthritic hips climbing to the top of the chimney for cleanout is no longer a smart thing to do. My chimney is a masonry circa 1850 model with a 6" stainless alloy flexible liner. There is a cap with a screen that is open pretty wide at the top. It is about 24 feet from the T that smoke pipe enters rear of stove in front of the fireplace. I have a Hearthtstone soapstone stove 18 years old. I have used it as the primary heat source with excellent hardwoods here in S Jersey. Over the years, soot and creosote would build up at the top 5-6 feet and the cap. Much of the rest of the pipe naturally drops the flaking buildup to the bottom below the T. I drop the end cap and remove the flakes a couple times a year. The problem is that top section build up.
Here's my idea. I just ordered a lightweight 25 feet drain snake and plan to run it up the ally liner, spin it with a drill and see if it can open the top section. Previously I've used the wire brush made to fit the pipe with extension rods. The liner appears thick enough to handle some rattling around of the snake end. I haven't seen the snake yet. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
Any comments, thoughts, alternative methods of staying downstairs to clean this pipe?
Thanks for reading

At 69 with 3 back surgeries and arthritic hips climbing to the top of the chimney for cleanout is no longer a smart thing to do. My chimney is a masonry circa 1850 model with a 6" stainless alloy flexible liner. There is a cap with a screen that is open pretty wide at the top. It is about 24 feet from the T that smoke pipe enters rear of stove in front of the fireplace. I have a Hearthtstone soapstone stove 18 years old. I have used it as the primary heat source with excellent hardwoods here in S Jersey. Over the years, soot and creosote would build up at the top 5-6 feet and the cap. Much of the rest of the pipe naturally drops the flaking buildup to the bottom below the T. I drop the end cap and remove the flakes a couple times a year. The problem is that top section build up.
Here's my idea. I just ordered a lightweight 25 feet drain snake and plan to run it up the ally liner, spin it with a drill and see if it can open the top section. Previously I've used the wire brush made to fit the pipe with extension rods. The liner appears thick enough to handle some rattling around of the snake end. I haven't seen the snake yet. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
Any comments, thoughts, alternative methods of staying downstairs to clean this pipe?
Thanks for reading
I would recommend taking a close look at the SootEater brand rotary cleaner. I use one for bottom up cleaning on several stoves. It requires you to provide only the drill. I bought a extra additional cleaning head to be able to cut the cleaning whips extra long for much better cap cleaning. I've been very pleased with this for the price. Worth researching.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH205-B-SootEater-Chimney-Cleaning/dp/B0010H5JXA?th=1

I would second the soot eater thing. Designed to be easily
used with a drill! Uses weedwacker lines for the cleaning.

I also use a fiber brush for my 6" steel flue pipes. Too tight to spin with a drill. Only push and pull to clean. Doubt you can spin a brush like that with a drain snake, or any other flex wire without catching and twisting up the liner.

I would recommend taking a close look at the SootEater brand rotary cleaner. I use one for bottom up cleaning on several stoves. It requires you to provide only the drill. I bought a extra additional cleaning head to be able to cut the cleaning whips extra long for much better cap cleaning. I've been very pleased with this for the price. Worth researching.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH205-B-SootEater-Chimney-Cleaning/dp/B0010H5JXA?th=1
How far up are you pushing this cleaning head? It does look pretty interesting. Since I already have the snake, mailman just dropped it off (thx ebay). I can fashion some of this weed whacker line to the top of the snake. It's a little thicker at the end to keep a clamp from sliding up or down. Thanks a lot, I'll update if something seems to work.

How far up are you pushing this cleaning head? It does look pretty interesting. Since I already have the snake, mailman just dropped it off (thx ebay). I can fashion some of this weed whacker line to the top of the snake. It's a little thicker at the end to keep a clamp from sliding up or down. Thanks a lot, I'll update if something seems to work.
The SootEater line is heavier/thicker than weed whacker line that I am familiar with. The kit came with 6 three foot sections. Individual components can be purchased when/if needed.

I love my sooteater too! Well worth the $

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reason I asked, mine are stiff and unusable with brush from the bottom up.
Been wanting more flexible rods.

Reason I asked, mine are stiff and unusable with brush from the bottom up.
Been wanting more flexible rods.
Try one, you'll be pleasantly surprised

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back