ust bought a '84 Asplundh Whisper 12" chipper, few questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellpcangel911

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
Long time fan, first time poster, looking for some help from all you gurus on my new-to-me chipper. I bought it from the original owner and its in good shape considering its age. The SN is JEY 19932, powered by a Ford 300. I bought it to clear some land on our farm, anything smaller than 5-6", the rest gets cut and split.
Ran it for three hours yesterday, makes great nice size chips but doesnt always pull the wood in. I used a large vermeer before that was a disc chipper with a feeder, so I dont actually have much to compare it to. But watching videos online it looks like you should have to be "forcing" the wood into the drum as much or as frequently as I have to. In my case its like chuck and duck, go back, re-chuck and duck, go back and push, push... push.. chuck...push then duck and move on. This is regardless of the wood, though it gobbles up 5" oak branches that fell down last year.
Is this normal or do I need to adjust the knives? Secondly, I hear one of the bearings making noise, the seller said its been like that for 4 years, 5 years ago he replaced the the bearing on the other side, claims he didnt do this one bc it wasnt making noise (I tend to believe him, straight up guy). Is it worth making an adjustment if the bearing is bad or just news it till theres snow out then tear it down?
Lastly, where do I get parts? The throttle linkage is rusted out between the carb and the govener and the muffler is shot.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge!

upload_2017-11-30_19-55-30.png

Hi All,
Long time fan, first time poster, looking for some help from all you gurus on my new-to-me chipper. I bought it from the original owner and its in good shape considering its age. The SN is JEY 19932, powered by a Ford 300. I bought it to clear some land on our farm, anything smaller than 5-6", the rest gets cut and split.
Ran it for three hours yesterday, makes great nice size chips but doesnt always pull the wood in. I used a large vermeer before that was a disc chipper with a feeder, so I dont actually have much to compare it to. But watching videos online it looks like you should have to be "forcing" the wood into the drum as much or as frequently as I have to. In my case its like chuck and duck, go back, re-chuck and duck, go back and push, push... push.. chuck...push then duck and move on. This is regardless of the wood, though it gobbles up 5" oak branches that fell down last year.
Is this normal or do I need to adjust the knives? Secondly, I hear one of the bearings making noise, the seller said its been like that for 4 years, 5 years ago he replaced the the bearing on the other side, claims he didnt do this one bc it wasnt making noise (I tend to believe him, straight up guy). Is it worth making an adjustment if the bearing is bad or just news it till theres snow out then tear it down?
Lastly, where do I get parts? The throttle linkage is rusted out between the carb and the govener and the muffler is shot.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge!

View attachment 615772

You can get new leakage at a speed shot or maybe napa, just standard rods. You can go to a auto parts store and look at their muffler catalog and look at their listings my sizes. Done this many time on a muffler for my equipment

I got same chipper jus had to replace pto clutch assembly not a cheap thing but parts were available and if your having to jam stuff into it you probably need to sharpen knifes or adjust cutting bar cuz my chipper when it's running and I set rpms to 2000-2500ish it freaking pulls it all in but have to be careful with bigger diameter stuff cuz it will pull it in til it bogs engine out and gets jammed up but if you cut 5-6in diameter chunks to no more then 6ft long my chipper eats em up but I'd say your knifes are dull if it won't pull stuff in

Latest posts

Back