Vanguard 35 hp Engine problems (Carlton 4012 stump grinder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpsurf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I blew a cylinder head on a Briggs and Stratton 35hp Vanguard motor. Anyone know where I can get a new one ? Part #84006467. My local dealer and Briggs and Stratton have no answers. Distribution center tried to blame it on Ukraine? Machine has been down since mid January. (Carlton 4012) stump grinder. Looking for someone who may know where there is possible new old stock sitting around. Thanks all for any leads.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton-84006467
What is wrong with the head? Did the engine overheat? Unless it is cracked I'd probably look at rebuilding it but that's just me. Assuming it's still straight of course.
Those engines have a pretty sound architecture unless it has a ton of hours on it they don't normally eat themselves for no reason.

I have tried everything on the internet, plus all local stores. Briggs and Stratton are no help and can’t even give an eta. I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton. Everything is on back order. Any help? Any one have NOS anywhere? Thanks!

I have tried everything on the internet, plus all local stores. Briggs and Stratton are no help and can’t even give an eta. I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton. Everything is on back order. Any help? Any one have NOS anywhere? Thanks!
Did you try the link I provided above, a month ago? Its still showing in stock. I went as far as I could without entering CC info. Shipping to my zip was quoted at $10 and 2-5 days.

In all the years of owning Vangaurd engines I've never had a problem sourcing parts. They are a very common engine - I would be shocked if what you are looking for isn't available.

Out of stock until November. Super nice on the phone though. Thanks for the info! I’ll try them in the future

Did you try the link I provided above, a month ago? Its still showing in stock. I went as far as I could without entering CC info. Shipping to my zip was quoted at $10 and 2-5 days.

In all the years of owning Vangaurd engines I've never had a problem sourcing parts. They are a very common engine - I would be shocked if what you are looking for isn't available.
I ran into this same problem on a vanguard on a ferris zero turn. I needed an oil pan and gasket. Luckily after a week of looking, a local place could get one. Dealers have different distributors. I didn't know this either

No luck, called 2 more recommended places. Back ordered until November, 2022. Beware buying Vanguard 35 hp motors. This one is still under warranty at Driggers in Summerville, SC
I just checked with local dealer around my area. No luck. Guy said briggs parts are hard to come by right now. I will say that if I buy anything gas powered, it won't have a briggs on it. Equipment is no good if you can't get parts for it.

What exactly is wrong with your cylinder head? Valves and springs maybe available to rebuild your head? A machine shop to plane the sealing surface?
Honestly I don’t know, I took it to the shop I bought it from because it’s still under warranty.

And because they can't slap a head on it they're sitting on their hands....that's a crappy deal. Have you tried calling the manufacturer? Maybe another dealer in your area?

If it were my rig I'd be wanting to know exactly what failed. Did a valve come loose and smack a piston? Or did it simply pop a head gasket and could be remedied by an hour or 3 at a machine shop and a new gasket and the dealer is just not competent.....

One thing I've learned is there are some good dealers out there and there are some real lazy ones. Sometimes you just gotta make enough noise to get it pushed up the ladder. Good luck.

And because they can't slap a head on it they're sitting on their hands....that's a crappy deal. Have you tried calling the manufacturer? Maybe another dealer in your area?

If it were my rig I'd be wanting to know exactly what failed. Did a valve come loose and smack a piston? Or did it simply pop a head gasket and could be remedied by an hour or 3 at a machine shop and a new gasket and the dealer is just not competent.....

One thing I've learned is there are some good dealers out there and there are some real lazy ones. Sometimes you just gotta make enough noise to get it pushed up the ladder. Good luck.
Good point it should be looked at.

Back