Vanguard 35 hp Engine problems (Carlton 4012 stump grinder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blew a cylinder head on a Briggs and Stratton 35hp Vanguard motor. Anyone know where I can get a new one ? Part #84006467. My local dealer and Briggs and Stratton have no answers. Distribution center tried to blame it on Ukraine? Machine has been down since mid January. (Carlton 4012) stump grinder. Looking for someone who may know where there is possible new old stock sitting around. Thanks all for any leads.
Briggs and Stratton went bankrupt in 2020 and limped along until April 2022 when they closed the parts plants. When they say the cylinder heads will be available in November, that is wishful thinking. Nobody it making the parts. What is left of B and S is hoping to get some Korean company to take over. Vanguard is the new Ford Edsel......dead

Briggs and Stratton went bankrupt in 2020 and limped along until April 2022 when they closed the parts plants. When they say the cylinder heads will be available in November, that is wishful thinking. Nobody it making the parts. What is left of B and S is hoping to get some Korean company to take over. Vanguard is the new Ford Edsel......dead
Are you insinuating Briggs was actually making their Vanguard engines? Historically they have been produced with a partnership with Daihatsu (Toyota).
I didn't know that ever changed.

This homepage marked 2022 confirms what I am saying.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/products/engines/commercial-engines.html

Thanks for the info. Fortunately my mechanic sourced a head from someone in the Northeast and fixed my grinder. It was a long wait. I guess the next time something happens I’ll probably go with another “engine”.

Are you insinuating Briggs was actually making their Vanguard engines? Historically they have been produced with a partnership with Daihatsu (Toyota).

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/products/engines/commercial-engines.html

Biggest problem I see is that there needs to be CASH or LOANS to produce things. Briggs going bankrupt = suppliers which got hosed = bad taste in their mouth.

That means resourcing, scrounging the bottom of the barrell vendors for someone desperate enough to take a risk with you potentially burying them in debt down the road like you've just done to others. Maybe Toyota floated them, maybe Briggs paid them and it want an issue ever, who knows.

Best case for defaulting though is long lead on parts. Likely case is parts with some level of QC issues. I've never liked Briggs...shame they hit the slopes but not surprised.

They brought production to Ga from Japan maybe 5 years ago, and quality declined. By the time that whatever is left of B and S, after their bankruptcy, eventually gets around to providing parts, they will have lost a lot of once loyal customers who have to buy another machine while waiting years for parts.

The bankruptcy is old news. They were acquired by an investment firm 2 years ago, along with the likes of Simplicity, Ferris, and Branco off the top of my head. There are several other companies that went with the sale that B&S owned. I was specifically asking if you had knowledge of Daihatsu no longer making the Vanguard components before being shipped to Georgia for assembly. The Vanguard link I posted above acknowledging the partnership was updated this year, so I suspect it is still relevant information.

While B&S has had QC issues in the past I wouldn't be so quick to lump Vanguard in the mix. Sure certain generations have had their problems or engineering shortfalls, no different than any other manufacturer. I've seen my fair share of Kaw and Honda issues too. Especially at the consumer and entry commerical level.

I also would not blame the lack of parts availability on them. Drive by any tractor/implement dealer and tell me what you see. This is far from being confined to a single manufacturers short sightedness. It's a global problem.

None of this makes sense, as per the # of quizzical responses. So, the machine is a stump grinder? which is completely meaningless to the issue....a B&S engine blew a head basket? So you need a gasket, and a torque wrench? Sounds like you don't have a whole lot of wrench in you.....hope you know about torque patterns and cylinder pressure....

Machine the cylinder head true, either on the Bench, or at your local shop.....and install a new head gasket. Go chew stumps.......

Also, berating a mfg. because of your thin skill set, is a lame way of telling us you screwed up in the first place. The head slab is a part of the engine assembly, but not available as a NOS or OEM part? On that assumption, look for some shop with a blown up engine, who will part out the head? but wait, you only need the gasket?
I’m sorry my mechanic skills aren’t up to you’re standards. I happen to have a lot going on and trying to find parts happened to be one of them and evidently will be in the future. I thought this was a site for discussing and getting knowledge about the tree business. I wish I had your time off. Then I could comment on crap just to piss people off. My mechanic sourced the head unit from another company. Maybe you can find it for me next time. I am pretty certain your mouse is your wrench.✌️

Back