Vanguard 35 hp Engine problems (Carlton 4012 stump grinder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blew a cylinder head on a Briggs and Stratton 35hp Vanguard motor. Anyone know where I can get a new one ? Part #84006467. My local dealer and Briggs and Stratton have no answers. Distribution center tried to blame it on Ukraine? Machine has been down since mid January. (Carlton 4012) stump grinder. Looking for someone who may know where there is possible new old stock sitting around. Thanks all for any leads.
What exactly do you mean, the gasket blew? What exactly happened?

I’ve made a ton of calls. Briggs and Stratton are not even giving an ETA. It’s at the only certified warranty dealer in the Charleston, SC area. I personally am not mechanic and do not know the exact nature of the damage. Briggs won’t even talk to consumers. If you have a direct line that’d be awesome to get. They absolutely suck. The motor is at Driggers small engine in Ladson, SC. I’m absolutely at wits end with these people. I appreciate all the responses and replies from everyone on this site.

That's really disappointing to hear. Briggs has had a checkered past but I've always had good experience with their commercial line and parts availability. Even if this whole supply chain has them on their heads they should still be keeping you in the loop.

I take it you have called them direct instead of going through your dealer?

https://www.vanguardpower.com/na/en_us/support.html

This is just me and might not be good advice for you. But I would be insistent on knowing WHAT failed and how. Just because the dealer can't/won't fix it doesn't mean there isn't a work around. If you make money with this machine a local independent mechanic could possibly get you back on the job if your willing to pay out of pocket in the interim. Rarely do heads need totally replaced more often than not they can be rebuilt and brought back to like new. Most of the time when a cylinder head is purchased they are remans anyhow. Again need to know the exact failure, not "it needs a head"

I’ve made a ton of calls. Briggs and Stratton are not even giving an ETA. It’s at the only certified warranty dealer in the Charleston, SC area. I personally am not mechanic and do not know the exact nature of the damage. Briggs won’t even talk to consumers. If you have a direct line that’d be awesome to get. They absolutely suck. The motor is at Driggers small engine in Ladson, SC. I’m absolutely at wits end with these people. I appreciate all the responses and replies from everyone on this site.
B&S filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020, possibly the new owners (KPS Capital Partners) are not up to speed.

The Vanguard engine failed on my whole house standby generator. Their local independent warranty service replaced the engine, at my home, no charge. They did not dismantle the engine to determine the cause, but it sounded like loose parts while cranking.

The unit was a year out of warranty, apparently the propane company that supplied the unit influenced their decision.

This was before their bankruptcy.

Wow, I wish I had a way to actually speak to a representative like you did. At this point they lose their words, literally can not tell me anything about an eta. One guy I got said something about Ukrain. That about did it in for me. Thanks all

Harrassing other members is not permitted. Be helpful, be nice, or be silent.
I blew a cylinder head on a Briggs and Stratton 35hp Vanguard motor. Anyone know where I can get a new one ? Part #84006467. My local dealer and Briggs and Stratton have no answers. Distribution center tried to blame it on Ukraine? Machine has been down since mid January. (Carlton 4012) stump grinder. Looking for someone who may know where there is possible new old stock sitting around. Thanks all for any leads.
None of this makes sense, as per the # of quizzical responses. So, the machine is a stump grinder? which is completely meaningless to the issue....a B&S engine blew a head basket? So you need a gasket, and a torque wrench? Sounds like you don't have a whole lot of wrench in you.....hope you know about torque patterns and cylinder pressure....

Machine the cylinder head true, either on the Bench, or at your local shop.....and install a new head gasket. Go chew stumps.......

Also, berating a mfg. because of your thin skill set, is a lame way of telling us you screwed up in the first place. The head slab is a part of the engine assembly, but not available as a NOS or OEM part? On that assumption, look for some shop with a blown up engine, who will part out the head? but wait, you only need the gasket?

I appreciate all the great advice, anyone that can actually find the parts I need , please let me know.. this is real to me

Try here if you haven't already. You will probably need engine series and serial number. You will probably need the warranty dealer info also.
It would also be nice to know exactly what failed. Keep on the warranty dealer until they tell you.
Customer Support/Vanguard
url---https://www.vanguardpower.com/na/en_us/support.html
Power Distributors support centers
Extended call center and technical support hours:
8 a.m.– 8 p.m. EST; 800-527-4007
www.PowerDistributors.com

Back