Vermeer 252 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After you get it all back together and you know it’s all lined up right. I mean you know, not you think so. I would go back and remove the set screws on the jackshaft and cutter shaft bearings one at a time and use a drill bit to make a small dimple under the set screw in the shaft, just a little flat spot really, then lock tite and lock em down till next time. Just my .02

I received that advice from a guy with 6 of these machines I bought a cutter shaft and jack shaft from, I didn’t listen, my jack shaft slid a few weeks later. After I re set the jackshaft I followed his advice. No problems like that since.

Good info. I know some people drill a hole and some have a flat milled in them. Just curious, which way did your jackshaft slide? Toward the clutch side? If so, that's what happened to this 252 I bought. I think it would be interesting to know which direction these shafts slide. Maybe there is a pattern? I know a lot of factors are at play so who knows.

I personally think it's a dumb design to have the set screws holding the shaft from walking....especially considering the shafts doesn't have flats or holes or whatever. Has anyone tried to use a split collar? Hell, put a pair of them inboard of each pillow block. Those would grab that shaft a hell of a lot better than two set screws, no?

thanks,

Drew

Just curious, which way did your jackshaft slide? Toward the clutch side?

Mine went twords the cutter wheel side. I figured maybe I had the engine a little crooked drawing the shaft that way. Who knows now.

OK guys,

Swung by Vermeer earlier today and picked up a new cuter shaft, lower bearings, plastic bushings for horizontal cylinders. I know I posted most of this before but I will put it again here.

222 CW SHAFT -PART# 116541001 - $326.32
Bearing - 1 1/2 p - PART# 142465001 - $23.92/ea
PAINT-VERMEER Y - PART# 252856983 - $7.41/ea
BEARING = GARMAX - PART# 107207001 - $5.23/ea

He told me a Jackshaft would be $165, no thanks. I have a local guy who will duplicate my jackshaft out of 4140PH for 85 bucks.

He said the horizontal pins themselves are $36.

The guy gave me some random clutch info I thought I would pass along. Just another data point....can't confirm if he was full of crap of not. I showed him a picture of my clutch and he didn't know WTF it was. He told me to call back and give him the part number off it and we can try to match it up. Might be an oddball year. But yeah he said the round clutches are like $300-350 and the triangular style clutches are closer to $600. When I asked him about the round clutch having issues he acknowledged that the triangular clutch is more forgiving but if you operate the machine like you are supposed to (aka not engaging the wheel above idle) then the round clutch is fine.

thanks,

Drew

Back