Vermeer bc1000 help?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper2020

Reaction score
Vermeer bc1000xl
Caterpillar diesel

When chipping the machine will start to shut off. The hour digital meter goes blank and the fuel gauge drops. The machine loses power and starts to shut off.
If you turn the key off and on it will raise rpms and run again.

Sometimes The machine will lose power for a second and the motor will continue to run. Sometimes it will start shutting down. Kinda random.
This only happens when the Roma are high and it’s in chipping mode. I can let the machine idle on low and it will idle without issues. I can have the drum spinning on low rpms and it will run fine. But when i engage the faster speed by moving the lever over to chip it will do this.
It hasn’t happened since fall of last year. Made it alll winter without an issue and yesterday and today i fought with it. Can’t get any work done.

Any
I took the machine home last night and ran some logs through it for about 30 minutes and it did great. This morning it ran for maybe an hour before it started this up again.

I can't recall the specifics exactly, but I have a friend who owns one of those. Actually, she's owned two now, the first with the 47hp cat, and now the 75ish hp diesel, can't remember the make. I've rented both from her. First time with the original one, it behaved somewhat like you describe. Turned out to be an rpm sensor.

Vermeer bc1000xl
Caterpillar diesel

When chipping the machine will start to shut off. The hour digital meter goes blank and the fuel gauge drops. The machine loses power and starts to shut off.
If you turn the key off and on it will raise rpms and run again
Gauge malfunction sounds like the control panel is loosing its power connection. Since it idles OK I suspect vibration from chipping is disturbing a loose connection.
I have an older version of your machine, there are fuses behind the control panel. I would look there first, with the machine running move the wire harness around while watching the gauges.

Vermeer bc1000xl
Caterpillar diesel

Sometimes The machine will lose power for a second and the motor will continue to run. Sometimes it will start shutting down. Kinda random.
This only happens when the Roma are high and it’s in chipping mode. I can let the machine idle on low and it will idle without issues. I can have the drum spinning on low rpms and it will run fine. But when i engage the faster speed by moving the lever over to chip it will do this.
It hasn’t happened since fall of last year. Made it alll winter without an issue and yesterday and today i fought with it. Can’t get any work done.

Any
I took the machine home last night and ran some logs through it for about 30 minutes and it did great. This morning it ran for maybe an hour before it started this up again.
Call Vermeer and ask for technical help.

Gauge malfunction sounds like the control panel is loosing its power connection. Since it idles OK I suspect vibration from chipping is disturbing a loose connection.
I have an older version of your machine, there are fuses behind the control panel. I would look there first, with the machine running move the wire harness around while watching the gauges.
Thanks man I’m going to check everything over again today. Vermeer said electrical and cat dealership says fuel issue. It’s weird it’ll run great sometimes and the last two days hasn’t been worth having lol

Vermeer bc1000xl
Caterpillar diesel

Any
I have a 2013 BC 1000xl an had a similar problem, sometimes worked fine, others, it would studder and then maybe rev up again and then other times would die. Couldn't figure it out till I took a 2 hour ride to the dealership. Dropped it off and on the way home, 1 1/2 hours away from the dealership now, he called to tell me it was a loose ground wire. The intermittant rev up and down was the vibrations connecting or disconnecting the ground.

Looking at the chipper from the radiator side, on the right side of the radiator, attached to the engine enclosure down low and is a small solenoid. Attached to it are the ignition wires and down under it is the ground wire. Look to see that those are all snug and clean.

Located as the arrow shows

bc1000xl-t4f-diesel-brush-chipper-feature.png

if you pull the panel off with the two bolts and look for the fuses they are inline the wiring harness about six inches from the fuel gauges it is a twenty amp fuse

Back