Vermeer bc600 or 700 price and reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbieS

Reaction score
I am looking at setting up and going to purchase a 6 or 8 inch machine. Anyone rate the vermeer bc600 or 700? Can anyone advise how much a new one is?
Open to any other suggestions but would like to go new for peace of mind

Just curious. Why a Vermeer 6x6 or 6x8 instead of a Bandit/Morbark/Bearcat 6x12 or 6x13 with a similar price and weight?

Just curious. Why a Vermeer 6x6 or 6x8 instead of a Bandit/Morbark/Bearcat 6x12 or 6x13 with a similar price and weight?
Well I am after suggestions of what is best to go from hence I'm asking on this forum - I am in the process of migrating from UK and always been used to 6 or 8" wood chippers here. I know in the US 12" chippers are more popular but anything over 6" diameter I was planning to keep for firewood. What would you purchase if you were a 1 gang outfit doing residential tree work?

I owned a 600 for years. Would work for pruning but counter productive on removals. The single feed wheel and undersized opening (6x6) really limits its ability to process Y’s, the air cooled gas motor has a short lifespan in this application. Mine had bad rod knock at 600 hours. If your a homeowner looking for an occasional use machine or a tree service looking for a light duty machine for pruning etc would be ok. If your wanting this to be your go to front line machine get at least a 9” machine

Rented a BC600 to chip hardwood branches, it was slow process. This experience led to the purchase of a diesel BC935 and later a BC1000.

I'm not in the tree business, but I would not consider any chipper with a gasoline engine. In the future if you decide to upgrade the market will be limited.

The market for used equipment is tight, pushing up the prices, but there are reputable preowned machine dealers that can arrange financing that may work for you.

I know in the US 12" chippers are more popular but anything over 6" diameter I was planning to keep for firewood.
The 6x12 opening chippers still only have a 6" high opening and 6.25" blades, but the opening and feed wheel are 12" wide. That adds less than 50lbs to the chipper weight and 6" to the width but it lets you chip a 2" diameter branch with a sharp bend or fork in it rather than needing to trim everything straight to get it fed in like you would with a 6x6 opening. Saves of lots of unnecessary limbing time for a tiny size/weight/cost penalty. I have an older Bandit 65 with a 35HP engine. It will chip 4" stuff great and 5.5" stuff if I stop the feed wheel every few feet. Most 3"+ stuff is firewood for me.

Back