Vermeer SC252 Cutter wheel shaft /bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roarb

Reaction score
HI all. I am new to the forum . I have a SC252 which I am in the process of upgrading the cutter wheel on. Previously it had yellowjackets on and the bearings where good. I was planning on changing the bearings at the same time as the wheel. On dismantling the cutter wheel shaft I have noticed that the shaft on the pulley side/drive side where the bearing sits is a smaller diameter or has been worn away so that the bearing does not make contact with its surface. My question is is this a normal shaft? if not what has caused that wear? If so , how is the bearing meant to make contact with the shaft given that it needs to be pushed on from the pulley end ( where it is an interference fit). Is it missing a split bushing or something? or is the shaft just worn? Also should there be a spacer on this side? The manual says yes but there is not one present.
Also when re-assembling it where should the tapered pulley bush sit? The manual seems to say parallel with the end of the shaft but mine was about 1/4 inch in. Also please ignore the horrible oversize washers- its all I had to hand. And help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3533.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
Easy as in replace the shaft, or can I do anything else? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had this occur on the jackshaft of my 252. I believe because the set screws came loose a time or two before I dimpled the shaft.

I also wonder if the shaft is repairable. In my case it’s not nearly as bad either. Last go around I dimpled it up with a punch forced the bearing back over it and locked it down. By then the bearing was bad. Week later I changed them and cutter shaft ones.

Question remains: is it financially viable to repair this type of damage one a shaft??

Easy as in replace the shaft, or can I do anything else? Thanks

Unless the shaft is fairly cheap, I'd repair it.
Weld up the worn area and machine it down.
An easy job for a local machine if you aren't equipped.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I think that is what has happened, I am just surprised at not having noticed the wheel running poorly with that amount of play in it. I only had it apart as I wanted to change the cutter wheel to a different system.
I went for a new cutter wheel as I don’t currently have a lot of time to sort things out and do not k ow of any decent machine shops that could have done that for me. I ended up drilling out one of the old grub screws and using that as a drill guide so as to be able to mark the new shaft a flat spot for the new grub screw to seat against. Hopefully that should stop it doing the same.
IMG_3612.jpg
IMG_3613.jpg
IMG_3614.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Pretty much any "job shop" could handle it.
I'd figure an easy job like that to cost $100-150 or so.

I am just surprised at not having noticed the wheel running poorly with that amount of play in it.

You know I didn’t but barely notice mine at first. I think the other bearing was taking the load of both for a while and that’s what kept everything hunky dory.

Eventually it did make noise once warm. Even right after I went in found it locked down those set screws and had dimpled the shaft with a punch tryin to raise the whole surface some trying hold it center while locking it down it still made noise after 20 mins on the first job. Had to just go in and do them all and the shaft at that point too. By then I had a few hundred hours on the bearings. Had a spare jackshaft here thank the universe for that!

Two years ago I bought a spare jack shaft for 90 on eBay and a cutter shaft from same guy for 300 I think. I was concerned for the straightness of my old cutter shaft first winter with my machine and I found bad bearings on the bottom, turns out it was fine(.010 or so wobble is more than straight apparently). I bought the jackshaft from same guy when I found out he had it. I think Vermeer prices then were 175 and 475 respectively.

So now I have my old still good I think cutter shaft as a spare and no more spare jackshaft but that’s ok. I bet if I find a shop to fix my old one(maybe not worth it for jackshaft) they could make me a new one too. It’s just a straight 1.25” keyed piece of stock.

Can I ask what you paid Vermeer for that cutter wheel shaft? Looks like thier paint.

Thanks
Bruce

You know I didn’t but barely notice mine at first. I think the other bearing was taking the load of both for a while and that’s what kept everything hunky dory.

Eventually it did make noise once warm. Even right after I went in found it locked down those set screws and had dimpled the shaft with a punch tryin to raise the whole surface some trying hold it center while locking it down it still made noise after 20 mins on the first job. Had to just go in and do them all and the shaft at that point too. By then I had a few hundred hours on the bearings. Had a spare jackshaft here thank the universe for that!

Two years ago I bought a spare jack shaft for 90 on eBay and a cutter shaft from same guy for 300 I think. I was concerned for the straightness of my old cutter shaft first winter with my machine and I found bad bearings on the bottom, turns out it was fine(.010 or so wobble is more than straight apparently). I bought the jackshaft from same guy when I found out he had it. I think Vermeer prices then were 175 and 475 respectively.

So now I have my old still good I think cutter shaft as a spare and no more spare jackshaft but that’s ok. I bet if I find a shop to fix my old one(maybe not worth it for jackshaft) they could make me a new one too. It’s just a straight 1.25” keyed piece of stock.

Can I ask what you paid Vermeer for that cutter wheel shaft? Looks like thier paint.

Thanks
Bruce
Hi Bruce, It was not cheap. I paid £490 plus 20% tax which is roughly 770 US so the machine definitely owes me a bit at the moment. I needed to get the machine working again as I have a stack of jobs lined up and very little available time. I will investigate getting the old shaft machined and hopefully have that as a spare for the future. It is running sweet though. I ground a 50 inch Yew stump today that was raised up around 24 inch ( full of dirt so no chance of cutting it down) in around 1 hour. Come to think of it mine was making a slight noise which I had thought to be bearings, I will pay more attention to these things in future. It is a bit of a learning curve for me but something I want to expand as on as I get older and less keen on climbing trees.

HOLY CRAP!

That yellow must be 24k gold and not paint!

I wouldn't have even considered buying a new one at that price.

That pillow bearing setup they have is piss poor if all that holds the shaft and heavy wheel from side to side movements are 4 tiny set screws.

Back