Vermeer SC252 Stump Grinder - Engine Rebuild Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animalfriend

Reaction score
Several months ago, I purchased a used Vermeer SC252 stump grinder. The machine works, but obviously, was poorly maintained. Recently, it stalled and wouldn't restart. The two screws from the butterfly valve in the carburetor were missing. I contacted a friend who's a mechanic and he was concerned they could have gotten into the engine, so he took it apart. We found one screw on the piston. We never found the other one, but I'm thinking it may have been missing prior to this because there's one area on the butterfly valve that's shiny (like a screw just fell out) and the area around the other hole is dull (like the rest of the surface).

As long as we have it all apart, we were going to replace the rings and all gaskets. (And possibly some other parts, I'm not sure what he has planned.) My problem is that I don't know what engine it has, so I don't know what parts/kit to order. In taking it apart, I found/photographed several numbers, but they were for the crankshaft. I also have the number from the starter and carburetor. But nothing that identifies the engine. I contacted a company that sells rebuild kits and they said there'd be a white sticker on the blower housing, but there isn't. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how I can determine which engine I have and what kit I need to rebuild it. It's a Kohler gas engine, but I don't know which one. It's an older machine, I was told it's a 2006.

I was also going to order a new carburetor, but I haven't been able to find an exact match to the numbers I found on this one: 24 053 93 78B UIB. The closest I could find is 24 853 93. I contacted the seller to see if it was interchangeable, but I have not received a reply.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Several months ago, I purchased a used Vermeer SC252 stump grinder. The machine works, but obviously, was poorly maintained. Recently, it stalled and wouldn't restart. The two screws from the butterfly valve in the carburetor were missing. I contacted a friend who's a mechanic and he was concerned they could have gotten into the engine, so he took it apart. We found one screw on the piston. We never found the other one, but I'm thinking it may have been missing prior to this because there's one area on the butterfly valve that's shiny (like a screw just fell out) and the area around the other hole is dull (like the rest of the surface).

As long as we have it all apart, we were going to replace the rings and all gaskets. (And possibly some other parts, I'm not sure what he has planned.) My problem is that I don't know what engine it has, so I don't know what parts/kit to order. In taking it apart, I found/photographed several numbers, but they were for the crankshaft. I also have the number from the starter and carburetor. But nothing that identifies the engine. I contacted a company that sells rebuild kits and they said there'd be a white sticker on the blower housing, but there isn't. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how I can determine which engine I have and what kit I need to rebuild it. It's a Kohler gas engine, but I don't know which one. It's an older machine, I was told it's a 2006.

I was also going to order a new carburetor, but I haven't been able to find an exact match to the numbers I found on this one: 24 053 93 78B UIB. The closest I could find is 24 853 93. I contacted the seller to see if it was interchangeable, but I have not received a reply.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Call Vermeer with the serial number off the frame of the grinder and they should know what engine was used that year. Cant you just find a tag for the Kohler engine isnt it a 25 HP twin?

I have same motor, in another application that I just got an OEM carb off EBay for around 130.00. If you buy one stay away from anything Chinese. If it was me, I would go completely new, that way you get new carb, starter, charging system, exhaust, etc. I think that block goes to 27hp, they are on EBay for around 2400.00 ish.

Back