Vermeer sc252 stumpgrinder engine upgrade 32.5 kohler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topfli8979

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my engine as my 25 kohler is tired... burning oil smoking like a train..

I know the larger hp engines cause more stress on belts,bearings and may take some fabrication to fit but I feel the 25 is underpowered. Has anyone done the upgrade to 30+ hp engines??

Mine is the original motor and its fine for my use. First thing to check is the size of the 2 motors,---bolt holes? crankshaft size AND height above deck plate, etc. If all of this comes up the same then it should work. --Probably will start breaking other parts with it but I kinda doubt it since the 252 is a heavy made unit.

There is a thread where it is mentioned a few times but not covered in detail. Said thread has a few other really good upgrades that are covered well.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/list-of-upgrades-to-vermeer-sc252.61193/
I have searched some myself and found a decent cross with the vanguard 35hp. It also has I believe if I remember correctly the same 1 1/8 X 3 7/8 shaft as my Kohler 27 does. There is a 1” spacer on the stock shaft too, so I’m not totally sure if it’s 3-7/8 or 4-7/8. Whatever it was was a match on the crankshaft, just have to make a bottom plate. I even have some “performance” clutch on the shelf for if I do it someday, I forget the brand at the moment. My Kohler is running well for now but someday that may be my move, a vanguard 35, they also make a 40 but I think it would be to much for the 252.

Back