Vermeer SC672 Stump Grinder Center Pivot Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrac

Reaction score
Ive got a mid 1990's Vermeer SC672 stump grinder that needs to have the center pivot rebuilt/re bushed. The pivot is very loose with lots of slop and if you take the wrong bite it will make the machine buck like a 4x4 pickup with death wobble. I picked up the machine as is for $1500, pretty much a give away price, the Deutz engine has been replaced previously, hydraulics work great and it runs excellent so the prosepect of putting some time and money into it seems like a good investment. I checked with the Vermeer dealer and the parts were around $250 which didn't seem too bad, the dealer called the "parts" bearings which I thought was strange as I expected the common pin and bushings used in so much equipment. I would imagine the parts may possibly be available from a bearing/drive shop or another tractor, or industrial supply. I'm curious to find out if anyone here could share their first hand knowledge of making this repair. and what to expect to expect once inside. I have the use of a friends shop with a gantry crane and a mini excavator to help pull thing apart to make this repair.
Thanks in advance, Carter

Carter,

What you need is called a king pin assembly. What they quoted seems very low for what you need. I would have Vermeer email you a list of the parts breakdown. You will need the crane for that job. Many places charge $7,500 for that repair as you have to hang the engine with the crane or mini-x.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Even they are shameless robber barons, I would ask vermeer what they would charge for the repair, may save you a lot of trouble and as you have this grinder that dirt cheap, you have some money left to spend.

Thank you for the reply and input Dave. I can't ever imagine paying $7,500 for this type of repair, I guess there's good reason why the dealerships have rightfully earned the nickname "stealerships"?! Sadly I've seen expensive jobs go through dealerships totally half-assed by half brained mechanics.

Back