Vermont Downdrafter not UL cert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Longbranch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After living in Vermont for 15 years and burning only wood for heat I moved to small city in Massachusetts and I got a decent large free wood stove.
I climb trees for a living so I get a lot of free wood. The neighbor started to complain about the smell of the
wood in the neighborhood and called the building inspector.
to make a long story short after satisfying the code for the height of the chimney and double insulated asbestos chimney pipe and a non flammable surface and wall penetration we're still going to court because the building inspector says he'll never approve a permit( which is required in this municipality) because the wood stove does not have the UL tag. Many used stoves that you purchase are older and don't have a UL tag it's only a recent within the last 15 year requirement.
my question is does anybody know when alternate method the override the building inspector for instance can you get your wood stove certified by an independent engineer or some type of State Fire Marshal this is in Massachusetts so if anybody's had this experience and has a comment is greatly appreciated in the long run I continue to burn wood without an approved permit I just got out of jail for murder and running a wood stove without a permit is nothing to me thank you very much

Mister Friendly
ps just kidding it was manslaughter20181204_210640.jpg

Can you call the company and ask them to send you it's UL listing?
I would tell the neighbor and the inspector where they both can go but then again I wouldn't live where a bitchy neighbor is a concern.

I would tell the neighbor and the inspector where they both can go but then again I wouldn't live where a bitchy neighbor is a concern.
It wasn't UL listed when manufactured, the company no longer exists. Neither does a lot of old makers of antique parlor stoves. Antique stoves often are refurbished and used without UL listings. My question is; Is their a procedure to validate the safety of older stoves that were not originally UL listed or built before UL listings.

A coworker of a friend of mine called me two springs ago about installing a new LP furnace and AC unit. So I went out to look a the job as he lives in the middle of no were and couldn't find anyone to do it. Got there and he had a wood stove that was half way out the door. I said you heat with wood he said not any more. I said tired of cutting wood he said no. I got new insurance for acreage and cars and the stove is not UL listed and it has to go. He said he looked into trying to get it UL listed and was having no luck. His chimney also needed up dated so they just called quiets on burning wood. I installed a 96% furnace and a new AC. Last I knew they are still using propane only.

A coworker of a friend of mine called me two springs ago about installing a new LP furnace and AC unit. So I went out to look a the job as he lives in the middle of no were and couldn't find anyone to do it. Got there and he had a wood stove that was half way out the door. I said you heat with wood he said not any more. I said tired of cutting wood he said no. I got new insurance for acreage and cars and the stove is not UL listed and it has to go. He said he looked into trying to get it UL listed and was having no luck. His chimney also needed up dated so they just called quiets on burning wood. I installed a 96% furnace and a new AC. Last I knew they are still using propane only.
I hate that insurance companies can do that crap to people, i get their point, but if the entire install is in a safe and appropriate manner, F code thought up by people that have more time than brains usually, then is a listing so important, I can build things that are way better than anything UL passes and a lot of the older stuff is better than the cheap stuff they pass now, especially when money gets applied to the right place.

There is a procedure for this, it's called a UL Field Evaluation, where UL engineering staff would go onsite to evaluate the product to the applicable standard(s), usually one(s) that they publish. You could contact UL and inquire as to the feasibility of this in your case and if they say they could perform an onsite evaluation, you could ask for a quote. However, since you mentioned the stove company never had a UL Listing in the first place it is unknown as to whether your stove would easily comply with the applicable safety requirements or have major issues which may or may not be easy to rectify. If you actually get a quote, I would bet that for the same or less money you could purchase a higher efficiency stove with a third party safety certification; your building inspector will be able to tell you whether they accept other certifications as well such as Intertek/ETL, Warnock Hersey, FM, etc.

Sorry for the delay in responding I haven't logged into their site in a couple of weeks I get disappointed with people who just respond for the sake of seeing the response and printed actually have no credibility of validity in their answer.
That's an awesome response sir I appreciate you answering me and knowing what you're talking about and you're probably right I thought maybe a State Fire Marshal independent engineer could somehow give a statement or an affidavit are report saying that in their opinion the stove seems safe because the building inspected does have the discretion to approve it it's just that I'm having a pissing contest with him and he stated numerous times that he doesn't have to approve it without the u l rating and he'll never approve this particular stove in the meantime I've used it for 2 years and I might fight the case for end of the year and use it for one more year and then look for a different stove thank you very much

After living in Vermont for 15 years and burning only wood for heat I moved to small city in Massachusetts and I got a decent large free wood stove.
I climb trees for a living so I get a lot of free wood. The neighbor started to complain about the smell of the wood in the neighborhood and called the building inspector.
to make a long story short after satisfying the code for the height of the chimney and double insulated asbestos chimney pipe and a non flammable surface and wall penetration we're still going to court because the building inspector says he'll never approve a permit( which is required in this municipality) because the wood stove does not have the UL tag. Many used stoves that you purchase are older and don't have a UL tag it's only a recent within the last 15 year requirement.
my question is does anybody know when alternate method the override the building inspector for instance can you get your wood stove certified by an independent engineer or some type of State Fire Marshal this is in Massachusetts so if anybody's had this experience and has a comment is greatly appreciated in the long run I continue to burn wood without an approved permit I just got out of jail for murder and running a wood stove without a permit is nothing to me thank you very much
Mister Friendly
ps just kidding it was manslaughterView attachment 816041

Don't heat with wood (but have plenty to give away while not on subject, your base looks a bit wonky. I'd be improving on it a bit, like extending the base out more and making sure the blocks are close together as well as those secondary supports need to go and be replaced with something with a larger footprint. No clue on you stove, try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can help you.

Latest posts

Back