Very large Oak tree close to the house and garage, would like to keep it, but only if its safe, any advice is appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ds1213

Reaction score
We're in the process of buying our first home, and should be closing within the next couple weeks. We went for the inspection yesterday and got a better look of the tree in the backyard. We know nothing about trees, but it is definitely taller than the house and might have some slight overhang, nothing touching the house though. The roots are pushing up through the driveway and garage slab, so we're needing to pay to replace the garage slab since its a city code violation. The inspector said its very unlikely that the roots would damage the foundation of the house. We are considering using the attic as a master bedroom, but my 8 year old nephew's bedroom and the sunroom are both on that side of the second floor, and we're wanting to put in a couple skylights in the attic, so we're concerned about the safety of having a tree this large that close. Sorry I can't give specifics like age of the tree or diameter, I'll have a local arborist come out to take a look at it after we close on the home, but I want to make sure we aren't making a bad decision buying a home with that large of a tree. I love the tree and would really love to keep it as long as its safe for our family. This is in the Cleveland Hts area, an east side inner ring suburb of Cleveland, so not any severe weather risks besides thunderstorms and heavy snow as far as I'm aware.

Part of me figures that the tree has probably been here longer than the house, and it hasn't caused any safety issues yet, so it'll probably be fine to leave for the next 10-15 years that we live here. The other part of me knows that I am clueless when it comes to trees, I have cats and a child in the house that I worry about getting hurt, and I don't really know the odds are that I would wake up one of these days with a huge branch crashing through my roof and into my bedroom, so any advice is welcome and very appreciated! I attached a couple photos that I have of the tree and some pics showing the damage to the driveway and garage from the inspection report.

Attachments

• IMG_5001.jpg
    IMG_5001.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4999.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • driveway.png
    driveway.png
    982 KB · Views: 2
  • garage floor.png
    garage floor.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 1
That's a nice one that no doubt increases property value.
Thats awesome, I'm so happy to hear that. We have another tree on the other side of the yard as well, but I have no clue what type of tree it is and I didn't get a full picture of it. Its further from the home and doesn't have any long branches reaching the house so I'm not concerned about it, but I do love the look of them in the yard. (Don't mind the mess in the yard, current owner is a gentleman in his 80s so hes just not been able to maintain the landscaping)IMG_5002.jpg

We're in the process of buying our first home, and should be closing within the next couple weeks. We went for the inspection yesterday and got a better look of the tree in the backyard. We know nothing about trees, but it is definitely taller than the house and might have some slight overhang, nothing touching the house though. The roots are pushing up through the driveway and garage slab, so we're needing to pay to replace the garage slab since its a city code violation. The inspector said its very unlikely that the roots would damage the foundation of the house. We are considering using the attic as a master bedroom, but my 8 year old nephew's bedroom and the sunroom are both on that side of the second floor, and we're wanting to put in a couple skylights in the attic, so we're concerned about the safety of having a tree this large that close. Sorry I can't give specifics like age of the tree or diameter, I'll have a local arborist come out to take a look at it after we close on the home, but I want to make sure we aren't making a bad decision buying a home with that large of a tree. I love the tree and would really love to keep it as long as its safe for our family. This is in the Cleveland Hts area, an east side inner ring suburb of Cleveland, so not any severe weather risks besides thunderstorms and heavy snow as far as I'm aware.

Part of me figures that the tree has probably been here longer than the house, and it hasn't caused any safety issues yet, so it'll probably be fine to leave for the next 10-15 years that we live here. The other part of me knows that I am clueless when it comes to trees, I have cats and a child in the house that I worry about getting hurt, and I don't really know the odds are that I would wake up one of these days with a huge branch crashing through my roof and into my bedroom, so any advice is welcome and very appreciated! I attached a couple photos that I have of the tree and some pics showing the damage to the driveway and garage from the inspection report.

Depends on how far away the tree is from the house.

The tree next to the garage is too close and when I was an inspector, I would "minor" that fact. The fact that the roots are actively damaging the driveway and garage foundation could be considered a "major". Damage to the roots when replacing the garage slab and/or driveway might be a detriment to the tree; however, I'm not an arborist.

Future root expansion would most likely damage a repaired driveway and/or garage slab later on. It may take decades.

The arborist may suggest to cable the larger branches. I have a few large trees around my house and the previous owner(s) had three of the trees' branches cabled.

Note that tree damage to well-construced pavement and concrete is not at all common. Poorly constructed concrete will heave even without the help of a tree. How sure are you that damage in the garage is associated with the tree.

Certainly discuss with arborist when the come to look at the tree. Like @Section VIII said, be careful about damaging roots during construction.

Aside from unknown root issues, the rest of the tree looks great from 1 pic. I don't see that it needs anything. Please do note that there should be absolutely NO pruning on that tree April through September due to Oak wilt... which is hitting your area hard now.

The other tree is a Norway spruce.

It's the sellers responsibility to bring everything up to code before they can sell the home. Not the buyer. I would make the seller pay and do the work before I signed anything. Check your local codes before making any commitment.

I'm a ISA certified arborist from california with 25 + year's in arboriculture. So, from your pictures I can only give so much advice.... yes, it's a mature tree, adding lots of shade, sound barrier and property value... obviously there was some impact on it's root system when the structure and drive were installed...I'm sure there were roots cut and major soil compaction of all root zone during construction which is the norm with contractors.... however, any roots cut were at least on the house side" compression roots" and the "tension side" opposite of driveway are probably not compromised... so.... without being able to do a more extensive evaluation personally, here's my advice.... the tree is going to continue to grow above ground and under ground.... obviously there's some surface roots causing damage to the driveway and possibly foundation?? Now within reason smaller roots can be cut "preferably with a sharp hand saw or Sawzall making a clean cut" and root barrier installed to redirect them sideways and downward. Consider different driveway materials like pavers, decomposed granite , decorative rolled rock with large flagstone pieces or other modular composite products. These are less invasive to the roots. Allowing water and aeration. They don't require as much excavation (root loss) and will ultimately last longer as roots continue to grow... I also recommend reducing the house side of the canopy artistically by 15 to 25%, prune the rest of the tree 15 to 20% of live foliage to reduce wind sail. Have at least 3 ISA CERTIFIED ARBORIST give you a consultation and bid"this should be free". Go with the one that's more knowledgeable and thorough in his assessment/terminology, etc.etc. cheaper isn't better when it comes to preservation. If it's deemed a hazardous tree by all 3 certified arborists, then shop around for the best removal price as long as they are bonded and insured.....It's not a huge tree in my opinion and worth saving...hope this helps you out... Xian Hunter ISA Certified Arborist, TCIA CTSP EHAP certified, Yale Cordage certified rope splicer...

Back