Vibration Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So here is my quandary. I have had my "Jolly Star" grinder for close to 12 years. It still does an exceptional job. However, I was cleaning it this morning and switched it on. Not a big deal however as it spooled down I noticed the wheel appeared to be mildly out of round. As the wheel slowed to a stop I had to investigate. So I put on another (brand new still in the plastic the pink ones from Bailees) So now I switched the grinder on and still had the same problem. I have never noticed this before. I removed the collar that centers the wheel and it appears fine. So now I am wondering if the armature on the motor could be out of true. Could this be possible? When grinding chains there is virtually know vibration however, as the wheel eventually slows I am able to feel the vibration in my hands. Any free words of wisdom are gladly appreciated. Thanks, Ken

So here is my quandary. I have had my "Jolly Star" grinder for close to 12 years. It still does an exceptional job. However, I was cleaning it this morning and switched it on. Not a big deal however as it spooled down I noticed the wheel appeared to be mildly out of round. As the wheel slowed to a stop I had to investigate. So I put on another (brand new still in the plastic the pink ones from Bailees) So now I switched the grinder on and still had the same problem. I have never noticed this before. I removed the collar that centers the wheel and it appears fine. So now I am wondering if the armature on the motor could be out of true. Could this be possible? When grinding chains there is virtually know vibration however, as the wheel eventually slows I am able to feel the vibration in my hands. Any free words of wisdom are gladly appreciated. Thanks, Ken
I have a Super Jolly, and it acts the same way. The arbor isn’t perfect on the wheel, so I just chalk it up to me not being able to center it perfectly every time, which is likely close to impossible. The little bit of play it has is enough to throw it off, and feel unbalanced at slow speed. At normal operation I can never tell that it’s off a little. The grinder is super smooth, and grinds the way it’s intended.

Edited for better grammar. Lol

No experience with your particular machine, but in many grinding applications you put the wheel on and true it while it turns. This often results in reduced vibration. Try a dressing stick and see if it makes it any better.

Latest posts

Back