Vibration level question on Stihl pro saws 261, 400, 462, and 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are the vibrations level specs listed on the UK Stihl website for their pro saws.

The 261 has 3.5/3.5 m/s^2
The 400 has 3.5/3.5 m/s^2
The 462 has 4.8/3.6 m/s^2
The 500i has 4.2/4.0 m/s^2

Is anyone able to explain what these equate to in the real world? I have a 261 and it feels smooth to me, but have no idea how much different a 500i or 462 might feel with the different levels. What is the measurement representative of, and is there a noticeable felt difference?

Thank you.

They all have similar antivibe systems. I’m not certain how the measurements are made or what they equate to, but generally speaking, you’ll feel more vibrations from a larger motor in a compact lightweight saw. I’ve run all of them mentioned except the 400 and can’t really feel a difference

I recently changed from a 391 to a 361 and the vibration seems much lower.. not that this helps with your question..
Magra!
I made a similar switch to yours, and also noticed this! My 390 was a "Farm Boss", and the 361 is a "pro" model. There is a substantial difference in the anti-vibe, firstly because of progress and innovation, but additionally because of the difference between pro and non-pro models. The 361 is much better.

My 2c

Mike

Magra!
I made a similar switch to yours, and also noticed this! My 390 was a "Farm Boss", and the 361 is a "pro" model. There is a substantial difference in the anti-vibe, firstly because of progress and innovation, but additionally because of the difference between pro and non-pro models. The 361 is much better.

My 2c

Mike
Hey mate, glad to hear I'm not the only one making the switch.

I'm pretty sure that the 390 didn't have the same AV as the 391, I think that was one of the major upgrades going from an xx0 to an xx1, but I could be wrong.

Back