Vine identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radio

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This Vine started growing about two springs ago. Now it's taking over my side yard. It's climbing the oak, birch, pine and an apple tree as well as over all the bushes. In the first photo you can see it appears to have a main trunk with two shoots wrapping around it. In the last photo that's not a sapling in front of that dead tree trunk, that's the base of one section of the vine.

IMG_20201008_140832.jpgIMG_20201008_135844.jpgIMG_20201008_135732.jpgIMG_20201008_135709.jpgIMG_20201008_141407.jpg

Thought that possibly, that's why I asked if it had berries. Couldn't think of the name. Dang CRS.
The thick main stem is classic bittersweet look it can be cut off at the ground and ripped out by the roots
To get it out of the trees sometimes more damage to trees ripping it out I've left it to decompose

100% bittersweet
get rid of that shitt fast. The berries are eaten by birds and they disperse the seeds in their crap all over the place. That stuff grows uncontrollably in any kind of soil. It gets into the trees and wraps around and strangles the tree.

That stuff has literally taken over some areas where I live to the point it would take a crew of 20 and a continued effort over a two or three year period to get rid of it.

If you can, get rid of as many unripened berries as possible and then pull it by the roots. the roots will be orange.

100% bittersweet
get rid of that shitt fast. The berries are eaten by birds and they disperse the seeds in their crap all over the place. That stuff grows uncontrollably in any kind of soil. It gets into the trees and wraps around and strangles the tree.

That stuff has literally taken over some areas where I live to the point it would take a crew of 20 and a continued effort over a two or three year period to get rid of it.

If you can, get rid of as many unripened berries as possible and then pull it by the roots. the roots will be orange.

Over a 30 foot area I saw no berries. I pulled a lot of it out today. The roots go for a few feet under the soil and it seems like all the shoots are connection to one giant root system. And yes, the roots are red!!

At the end of the day I went back and in a section I didn't get to earlier there are berries! So bittersweet it is. Only problem is in that area is a LOT of poison ivy mixed in. I may just hit it with ivy control herbicide and hope that also takes out he bittersweet.

Over a 30 foot area I saw no berries. I pulled a lot of it out today. The roots go for a few feet under the soil and it seems like all the shoots are connection to one giant root system. And yes, the roots are red!!

At the end of the day I went back and in a section I didn't get to earlier there are berries! So bittersweet it is. Only problem is in that area is a LOT of poison ivy mixed in. I may just hit it with ivy control herbicide and hope that also takes out he bittersweet.
One difference is poison ivy has roots on the stems and attached by roots
Bittersweet is a strangler with no stem roots
Both tops will die if cut off from the roots

One difference is poison ivy has roots on the stems and attached by roots
Bittersweet is a strangler with no stem roots
Both tops will die if cut off from the roots
correct

but then they grow out from the remaining roots. A botanist told me once that plants like bittersweet grow BETTER after being trimmed and cut back. They grow back thicker and from more new shoots.

My experience is that any plants cut down to the roots grow back more vigorously. So I've been pulling the roots out as much as I can. But the thing with the poison ivy is I don't want to be messing with it, I'm highly allergic to it. So instead of going in there and ripping out the bittersweet I'm just going to spray it all.

Bittersweet for sure. Cut off any climbing vines, once they get mature they will make berries and animals/birds will spread them.

Pull up as much of roots as you can as remaining root will re-sprout.

Best to do mechanical removal first by cutting/pulling them, treat any re-sprouts with sprays. Might take a few rounds of sprays to get all the re-sprouts. Lets the re-sprouts grow a bit so the roots expend energy reserves, before spraying.

Bittersweet for sure. Cut off any climbing vines, once they get mature they will make berries and animals/birds will spread them.

Pull up as much of roots as you can as remaining root will re-sprout.

Best to do mechanical removal first by cutting/pulling them, treat any re-sprouts with sprays. Might take a few rounds of sprays to get all the re-sprouts. Lets the re-sprouts grow a bit so the roots expend energy reserves, before spraying.
Thanks for explaining better then I did

Radio and anyone else read the labels before using any herbicide so you dont kill your trees or sterilize your yard

Latest posts

Back