Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why I like the old saws--1 example today. Needed to smell-hear and feel some 2 stroke since down with broke leg. All these saw had not been started in 3 months or more. Pull out Homelite XL-12 check oil and gas-3 pulls and she is purring.Old all orange Dolmar 112---2 pulls and running like a top. New husky 365---many pulls -flooded--partly my fault--I like husky saws and I know it will probably out cut the old guys and different fuel delivery--put it back on shelf..Will wait til I get back leg/motion,strength.Off to go look for my 1970 era Echo ?? about 50 to 60 cc..Pawn shop find--1/2 to 1 pull every time and she is ready--:sweet::sweet:..Go cut some wood!!!!------David-- next topic--THE BOW CHAINSAW--news at 11;00!!!:drinkingcoffee: Yea I am rehabbing!!! Saw dust therapy !!!!!SUNP0312.JPGSUNP0309.JPGSUNP0309.JPGSUNP0358.JPG

Thanks for starting the thread Kinsie! You have inspired me to dig my 1977 Craftsman out of the back of the shop. It’s nothing close to being as cool your Homelite though.
My pleasure buddy, it sure is a fun experience when you get one of these old machines going again!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Just finished this one. Crank needle bearings were so loose the flywheel would drag on the coil when the magnets came around. I suspect the previous owner knew he had a problem because they tried to stuff 2 crank seals in the flywheel side. I'm letting it sit a bit longer before applying decals.

IMG_20200918_4905.jpgIMG_20200918_17557.jpgIMG_20200918_27297.jpgIMG_20200918_39306.jpg

Added a 3/8 setup and a 28 inch bar on the Super 250.
Also scored this PM55 running for $50 last weekend.
94c50e959ac5221e4993967c97551bf7.jpg
341e9b0c5623bdd09fd00850aba62b9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Just finished this one. Crank needle bearings were so loose the flywheel would drag on the coil when the magnets came around. I suspect the previous owner knew he had a problem because they tried to stuff 2 crank seals in the flywheel side. I'm letting it sit a bit longer before applying decals.

Beautiful work! What model is that?

That is an XL-15, gear drive.----------------------------------------Nice saw restore--Pretty rare down here-maybe every where?? Real unique gear train in that gear reduction---I know I have been wanting 1 every since I saw 1 half apart--the mechanic in me. You have a lot of time and effort in that one--David:drinkingcoffee: Stack muffler extra bonus--may add more power + I won't people to hear what a good vintage homelite sounds like loaded in the wood

Hey CB your saw looks fantastic, the red really pops! I use scotchbrite pads and really fine steel wool to polish my grab handles. I'm looking for a C series gear drive at the moment and hopefully I'll restore it as well as you did.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I used Massey Ferguson red at Modifiedmark's suggestion and thought it came out quite well.

One thing I discovered about the XL gear drives is the planetary cover will fit on any XL saw once you remove the clutch drum. When you pay good money for one of these you're really buying the clutch cover and serial tag.

Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am sorry if this is not the right place for this ,could not find a place to start a new post. Me and computers don`t get along most of the time.
I have a pioneer farm saw that I would like to sell but do not have any idea what it is worth. I bought this saw new in 1980 it has a 18 inch bar. It runs great and is all original except for the magneto and the nut that holds the on & off switch and of course the chain. I used it for 2 years to cut wood to heat my house and over the years to clean up storm damage in my yard. I also have the owners manual for it. It`s just getting to heavy for me and what I need a saw for I can get by with a little electric job.

i

Attachments

• DSCF0747.JPG
    DSCF0747.JPG
    835.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0748.JPG
    DSCF0748.JPG
    863.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0749.JPG
    DSCF0749.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0750.JPG
    DSCF0750.JPG
    812.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0752.JPG
    DSCF0752.JPG
    870 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0753.JPG
    DSCF0753.JPG
    819.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0754.JPG
    DSCF0754.JPG
    891.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0751.JPG
    DSCF0751.JPG
    806.4 KB · Views: 17
I gotta get back into fixing up chainsaws again. This old mower has been taking up a lot of my time lately but it’s close to being useable so I can start working on other stuff.
096cb0fcc00f043d444c15e3481015eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am sorry if this is not the right place for this ,could not find a place to start a new post. Me and computers don`t get along most of the time.
I have a pioneer farm saw that I would like to sell but do not have any idea what it is worth. I bought this saw new in 1980 it has a 18 inch bar. It runs great and is all original except for the magneto and the nut that holds the on & off switch and of course the chain. I used it for 2 years to cut wood to heat my house and over the years to clean up storm damage in my yard. I also have the owners manual for it. It`s just getting to heavy for me and what I need a saw for I can get by with a little electric job.

i
Do any of yall have any idea of what it is worth

Back