Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm becoming a fan of those early Husqvarna's, the A and L77's were around the same times as X12's and the rest of the horizontal cylinder saws....it was a piston port saw with a vertical cylinder & carb in an air box very much as saws are today :)

Hey, hey group! How's everyone doing? Been a while since I've been on here. Not been able to devote hardly any time and resources towards working on saws for a while with work and getting some of my new to me metal machining equipment cleaned up and making chips. Lathes and mills have taken hold of me lately, still staying true to my beginnings and putting them to use making some custom saw parts though! Had a little time to play with saws and trees this fall though, the Mac 10-10 with the full wrap is still the favorite saw to run, also finally got my Jonsered 670 going in some wood. Runs nice in the big wood, just needs a dog and it'll be where I want it.

Hey, hey group! How's everyone doing? Been a while since I've been on here. Not been able to devote hardly any time and resources towards working on saws for a while with work and getting some of my new to me metal machining equipment cleaned up and making chips. Lathes and mills have taken hold of me lately, still staying true to my beginnings and putting them to use making some custom saw parts though! Had a little time to play with saws and trees this fall though, the Mac 10-10 with the full wrap is still the favorite saw to run, also finally got my Jonsered 670 going in some wood. Runs nice in the big wood, just needs a dog and it'll be where I want it.
Wasn't you in school a few years ago chasing college girls?

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Wasn't you in school a few years ago chasing college girls?

Yes I was. Been out for a little less than two years now. Engineering has been an interesting field. Learned a lot about manufacturing processes and CAD drawing since I got out, also learned that the talent pool of skilled professionals isn't what it used to be. It's disappointing to be a young engineer as there is a very limited amount of skilled people to learn from. The overwhelming mentality is "close enough is good enough", not a lot of true engineering and pursuit of perfection I would argue. That's across a lot of industries and companies currently.

I never did do much of that kind of chasing in school. Now chasing threads though...:crazy: Got pretty good at that when I was at school. If people could only start a tapped hole straight before they hammer it in home with the impact.

Fall 1963 University Missouri, Rolla freshman ME majors were divided into two groups. One group was in machine shop and the other welding. Switched labs for spring semester.

I learned to use a drill press, lathe, shaper and an end mill. Spring I learned to arc weld, gas weld and braze. [emoji106]

Weren’t no ‘puters then. Hand held calculator was a slide rule.

So I've started restoration on a '52 Clinton 3A3 and found something unusual. When I pulled the flywheel, it had a lot of black goo on one side - looks like the coil was coated with tar and it melted down. The flywheel magnets seemed very weak so I wondered if it was exposed to excessive heat at some point. Then I had an idea - Has anyone considered inserting some of the strong neodymium magnets to restore magnet strength? I would have to determine the correct orientation. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clinton-3a3.355508/#post-7605168
Wassup Buzz? Been a long time, how ya doin?

Yes I was. Been out for a little less than two years now. Engineering has been an interesting field. Learned a lot about manufacturing processes and CAD drawing since I got out, also learned that the talent pool of skilled professionals isn't what it used to be. It's disappointing to be a young engineer as there is a very limited amount of skilled people to learn from. The overwhelming mentality is "close enough is good enough", not a lot of true engineering and pursuit of perfection I would argue. That's across a lot of industries and companies currently.
Where's that avatar taken? Looks like it could be the next town over from me.

Unofficial slogan where I work is "We're not building the space shuttle..."

I never did do much of that kind of chasing in school. Now chasing threads though...:crazy: Got pretty good at that when I was at school. If people could only start a tapped hole straight before they hammer it in home with the impact.
Well it's good to see you're still around. Miss hearing from the old gang. You sound like me. At work I was called a perfectionist. Didn't bother me, told them if you're going to do something, do it right. I hate half a$$ work. Put pride in your work and it will show.

Where's that avatar taken? Looks like it could be the next town over from me.

Unofficial slogan where I work is "We're not building the space shuttle..."
Pic was taken over in Lonsdale MN. Funny you bring that up. I've actually been meaning to get back over there lately and recreate that photo. We don't build space shuttles either where I work. We build ag equipment actually. However, ag equipment or space shuttle, at the end of they day the pieces and weldments still have to fit together relatively decent. Can't be grinding on parts to fit 20% of the time.

Fall 1963 University Missouri, Rolla freshman ME majors were divided into two groups. One group was in machine shop and the other welding. Switched labs for spring semester.

I learned to use a drill press, lathe, shaper and an end mill. Spring I learned to arc weld, gas weld and braze. [emoji106]

Weren’t no ‘puters then. Hand held calculator was a slide rule.
I wish we didn't have computers most days. It's nice for conceptualizing models quickly, but then on the flip side it's so easy to throw one off stuff together rather than spending the time to think it through and do one quality revision of a part. Least the engineers then had exposure to machining processes and welding. Most programs now are cut down to a semester if that. I've found that the engineering textbooks from the 60s-80's are the best to learn from actually actually. Chock full of useful information and not watered down information like I see in a lot of new engineering texts. As much as we've learned technologically over the past 50 years, the general engineering talent pool has not kept up. Most of the people I went to school with I wouldn't trust to engineer an office desk.

Well it's good to see you're still around. Miss hearing from the old gang. You sound like me. At work I was called a perfectionist. Didn't bother me, told them if you're going to do something, do it right. I hate half a$$ work. Put pride in your work and it will show.

I miss being around here too. Get a little more time in the winter so hopefully I can participate a little more. I'm not the fastest at work, but I also don't tend to have issues with parts or projects I work on. Detail oriented is a fine thing to have. After being in engineering and getting involved in a lot of weld quality and quality control, I will say I don't have a very high trust in a lot of commercially available products. Inferior welding and poor engineering leads to early or sudden failure. I see it on everything from chairs, to mowers, to vehicles. So called "professionals" don't take the same pride in their work. "Good nuff" and "it'll buff" are said way to much when it actually does matter.

Finally got all the 3A3 parts cleaned and painted. Still waiting on the crank - I'm picking up another saw this weekend that I hope will have a good crank. I'll probably have some spare parts available if anyone is interested.
New seals, bearings, gaskets, rings. Only problem I'm having is the name. I bought a tank decal on-line, scanned it and used the center section for the bar decals. Interesting - pressurized fuel tank. I haven't seen one of these before and don't know what to expect.

Attachments

• parts ready.jpg
    parts ready.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 17
Finally got all the 3A3 parts cleaned and painted. Still waiting on the crank - I'm picking up another saw this weekend that I hope will have a good crank. I'll probably have some spare parts available if anyone is interested.
New seals, bearings, gaskets, rings. Only problem I'm having is the name. I bought a tank decal on-line, scanned it and used the center section for the bar decals. Interesting - pressurized fuel tank. I haven't seen one of these before and don't know what to expect.
Picked the other saw up yesterday. Good crank, belt, clutch and ignition parts. I installed the piston and crank today. Piston goes in first, then the crank. There was no way to use my ring compressors so, as I've said before, invention out of necessity is a mother. I used a half a PVC coupler and machined the inside to fit snugly on the piston. I compressed the rings and tapped the coupler over them until the top of the piston was clear, then positioned the piston into the cylinder and tapped it into place. Worked like a charm! More assembly tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20211205_151429 res.jpg
    20211205_151429 res.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211205_151650 res.jpg
    20211205_151650 res.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211205_151830 res.jpg
    20211205_151830 res.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211205_152418 res.jpg
    20211205_152418 res.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 10
Picked the other saw up yesterday. Good crank, belt, clutch and ignition parts. I installed the piston and crank today. Piston goes in first, then the crank. There was no way to use my ring compressors so, as I've said before, invention out of necessity is a mother. I used a half a PVC coupler and machined the inside to fit snugly on the piston. I compressed the rings and tapped the coupler over them until the top of the piston was clear, then positioned the piston into the cylinder and tapped it into place. Worked like a charm! More assembly tomorrow.
Forgot to mention, the second saw was a slightly newer model 3A with the Tilly HL diaphragm carb. Mine has the Carter float carb. I was holding my breath that the crank would be the same. Looks like they improved the crank over the one I had, making me wonder if breakage was not uncommon.

First time I've worked with a Schnacke starter. The flywheel nut has teeth and the starter pulley has matching teeth that extend and engage the flywheel nut when you pull the rope. The trick was to add a spacer between the flywheel and nut so the axle threads were below the teeth. The teeth on the original starter were chewed up a little so I believe it was not set up correctly. Luckily, the part on the second saw was good so I changed it over but found it extended in too far and was hitting the flywheel nut teeth. I then had to make a spacer to move the starter outward and keep the teeth clear of the flywheel nut until the rope is pulled. All came out well and I have spark now. I went ahead and put the tank and rear cone on for pics. I still need to double check everything before adding fuel and attempting to start and I don't know what to expect with the pressurized fuel tank. Still looking for an operator's manual. Here are pics.
Edit - just realized I didn't post any "before" pics. Here they are. I didn't know if the red stripes were factory or not but thought they looked cool, so I added them.

Attachments

• 20211207_122120.jpg
    20211207_122120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211207_122126.jpg
    20211207_122126.jpg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211207_122140.jpg
    20211207_122140.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211207_141500.jpg
    20211207_141500.jpg