Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also you are much better off finding saws locally as shipping prices will kill you if buying over eBay etc unless it's really THE saw you have to have.

Just keep your eyes peeled locally. Put out want ads too. You are going to get some junk and some folks who think their junk is gold but it will get you some cool stuff too.

That's another thing, I had some small engine training in high school but I am very ignorant when it comes to chainsaws, so I would have no idea how to identify junk, or a saw that can be brought back to life.

That's another thing, I had some small engine training in high school but I am very ignorant when it comes to chainsaws, so I would have no idea how to identify junk, or a saw that can be brought back to life.
Saws are very easy but you also can go down a wormhole quickly if you aren't careful.

Most importantly when assessing a saw you need to determine:
-does it have spark?
-does it turn over? If so does it have compression?
-if you can access it, does the exhaust side of the piston look shiny and free of scores?
-is the saw complete or is it missing parts?
-chains are cheap so that's not important but how is the bar? On many older saws you cannot get a new bar so you would have to look for a used one.

I'm sure I missed a few key indicators that the other guys can chip in. Sorry my mind is almost shut down for the day lol.

To the original poster. If your Super XL is the one in the pics I would not paint it. Original paint in good condition is much more collectible than a re-paint. I have one about like yours, only a later model and I'm keeping mine as original as possible but I would still use it now and then. I think I did put a rim sprocket on mine though, I just like them better..

Once the word gets out that you collect saws, and you treat people right theyll find you, ive had a few farmers come walking in my shop carryin an old brute they thought id want..... and i see your from Louisiana..... man that is prime vintage poulan area there as they hailed from Shreveport... theres some awesome stuff in barns down there i guarantee it. Saws id love as poulan is my brand of choice. probly a bunch of bow saws too!

Man I'm all excited now, I have a mostly empty shop and I've been looking for a hobby that's relatively inexpensive but fun and rewarding and collecting and getting these old saws back into working condition just really excites me! I have a computer desk job with occasional field work, so I am sedentary most of the time and playing with these old big and heavy saws seems like just the thing to get my hands dirty again! I grew up out in the country so I am no stranger to hard work and I miss it sometimes being stuck behind a desk.

Man I'm all excited now, I have a mostly empty shop and I've been looking for a hobby that's relatively inexpensive but fun and rewarding and collecting and getting these old saws back into working condition just really excites me! I have a computer desk job with occasional field work, so I am sedentary most of the time and playing with these old big and heavy saws seems like just the thing to get my hands dirty again! I grew up out in the country so I am no stranger to hard work and I miss it sometimes being stuck behind a desk.
Howdy there and welcome to the #1 source for feeding your new found chainsaw addiction. I'm @Boomer 87 's brother and I'm more of a mcculloch guy. The only thing I would add to the conversation that I don't think has been said yet is, don't be afraid to ask anyone, even if they don't look like the type of person that would have any saws, people will suprise you.
ADLM

Also, parts saws can also be worth their weight in gold, if you can pick em up for mega cheap buy them and store them for when you need to steal parts off them.
ADLM

A lot of people discount the idea of buying saws and parts off ebay. Believe me, if you look long enough they have what you want. I am both a buyer and a seller on ebay, right now I'm mostly a buyer and have bought lots of stuff there but due to my finances I have to wait for awhile to get the price I want..

A lot of people discount the idea of buying saws and parts off ebay. Believe me, if you look long enough they have what you want. I am both a buyer and a seller on ebay, right now I'm mostly a buyer and have bought lots of stuff there but due to my finances I have to wait for awhile to get the price I want..
Most of my parts purchases come off of ebay. I can't count how many carb kits I have bought from @Definitive Dave over the past year. If a guy had the time you could carve out a nice little business by buying non running saws and selling parts.

Back