Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe several makers including Poulan(361) copied the Homelite XL-12 design.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
cda2435517c41641d6a4170bedd1c1a1.jpg

The question is, Who actually came out with the design first, was it Homelite, Lombard, Remington, Poulan?
Does anyone really know. You can look at date of manufacturer on Acres site but we all know that site has
it's fair share of errors.

I am looking for a little help fellow vintage fans.

1) Carlton D3 presets (1/2" pitch, .063 gauge) I have McCulloch, Atkins, and Oregon 1/2" presets but the rivet size is too large to work with the Carlton chain.

2) 1/2" pitch 7 tooth sprocket for a David Bradley 917.60046

20211025_110706.jpg

20211025_110712.jpg

Thanks guys.

Mark

So I've started restoration on a '52 Clinton 3A3 and found something unusual. When I pulled the flywheel, it had a lot of black goo on one side - looks like the coil was coated with tar and it melted down. The flywheel magnets seemed very weak so I wondered if it was exposed to excessive heat at some point. Then I had an idea - Has anyone considered inserting some of the strong neodymium magnets to restore magnet strength? I would have to determine the correct orientation. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clinton-3a3.355508/#post-7605168

So I've started restoration on a '52 Clinton 3A3 and found something unusual. When I pulled the flywheel, it had a lot of black goo on one side - looks like the coil was coated with tar and it melted down. The flywheel magnets seemed very weak so I wondered if it was exposed to excessive heat at some point. Then I had an idea - Has anyone considered inserting some of the strong neodymium magnets to restore magnet strength? I would have to determine the correct orientation. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clinton-3a3.355508/#post-7605168
Has a wonderful surprise today - I discovered that the magnet is part of the coil mount laminations, under the brass cover next to the coil and very strong. Coil seems to test ok as well but I need to replace what melted off and clean out the flywheel. Disassembly is in progress for restoration. Looking for seals now.

Attachments

• 20211113_150819_resized.jpg
    20211113_150819_resized.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 12
Do you have the means to share that cross reference? I have a buddy with a couple Clinton's to do
The file is too large but I included a link, hope it works. Should have done in the first place, thanks for the suggestion. btw, I'm looking for a crank for the 3a3 # 46-516. There was one ring missing from the piston - that raised my eyebrows a little. When got the crank out, I saw that it had been welded one one side of the connecting rod journal. Actually looks like a pretty good job but there is a little runout. Might work but I'd rather replace while apart and I'm in no hurry. file:///E:/chainsaw/clinton/Clinton_part_number_conversion_old_to_new.pdf

Attachments

• Clinton_chainsaw_3A_parts_list.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 5
The file is too large but I included a link, hope it works. Should have done in the first place, thanks for the suggestion. btw, I'm looking for a crank for the 3a3 # 46-516. There was one ring missing from the piston - that raised my eyebrows a little. When got the crank out, I saw that it had been welded one one side of the connecting rod journal. Actually looks like a pretty good job but there is a little runout. Might work but I'd rather replace while apart and I'm in no hurry. file:///E:/chainsaw/clinton/Clinton_part_number_conversion_old_to_new.pdf
Nice IPL but not what I expected by old to new conversion. I thought it was for the original seals to new seals. I wish you luck with NOS seals but I have found some NOS seals to be in bad shape just from age. Thats why I always try to cross the OEM seals to new replacements. Several of us have been documenting these seal number lists and share them with others when needed.

I had a Bolens version of these models of Clintons a while back, but too bad it was a rusted piece of junk and I ended up having to salvage the few good parts off it. On the other hand there were some guys happy to get what I did have.

I'm presently in Australia....I don't know for how long as China has threatened total anihilation, as has to Japan...if we 'step out of line' or aid USA....but...but...but....but then what will happen to my chainsaws?? Last night on the Australian '60 Minutes' programme China threatened us all with "Armageddon...Armageddon...Armageddon!"... unless we all back off and 'respect' it.
The Aussie interviewer said 'do you mean respect?...or kneel before you?'...which raised the Armageddon spectre..You know...while they conduct there circular arguments idolising the narcissistic if not satanic 'leaders' controlling us all.......what about our chainsaws...??? eh?...eh?....They get no mentions in UN or even the European Court of Justice....Our chainsaws have rights too...don't they?

Obviously my 'Atom' saw will have a place in the New Order after our disintegration but what of my others... my saws hold no opinions...making then good Chinese citizenship candidates. I'll write to the Bully-boy Embassy tomorrow and ask them whether there might be amnesty at least for our machinery as no one has been kinder to China than Australia's Governments and real property agents....and we have imported vast amounts of their ...well.... 'stuff' is my kindest description.

One saw of mine...which will be for sale amongst a few others is that very nice "Atom" saw with an original 'Atom' metal borer-tool attached.... That saw is a bit pre-1984 (now there's an interesting year!!...or was that 1894?).

I recently sold 5 x Echo EVL's...after a couple of big Stihls' last year.

Strangely...well, as I see it, I have only read bad press on Poulan...might be the French name....but mine have been the most reliable saws under continuous use. I have only had to replace one fuel-feeder bulb in 15 years. I am also going to sell my recently serviced 49SP...another well made saw...I have had it 'since new'. I keep my saws clean and don't flog them...they like that!! Voila

Back