• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Vintage IEL Pioneer 'RA' chainsaw - the '57 Chevy of classic saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an absolute Beauty!
The RA was the very first chainsaw I ever got to run when I was quite young, that saw is the one pictured in post#17 a few posts above, been in my family since it was new around 1957-58. It was on my grandparents farm until I retrieved it ,it has always been a runner, never had an issue to this very day, will always start and cut a load of firewood. I liked the RA`s so much I always wanted a new one, so I built one to satisfy my longing. I have 4 running RA`s to cut with so I can have one as a shelf queen.

I love those old saws.like them better than the new saws made in the 80's to today.kind of put me in mind of what the old cars in 50's well built no plastic. Every or just about every thing was made out of metal guess why they were heavy. Not like todays saws. Mostly plastic.today stuff is made not built.the work that went in to building stuff back in 50's-early 80's compaired to today different .more metal went into the older stuff its why i say its built. Stuff today is made.

The RA was the very first chainsaw I ever got to run when I was quite young, that saw is the one pictured in post#17 a few posts above, been in my family since it was new around 1957-58. It was on my grandparents farm until I retrieved it ,it has always been a runner, never had an issue to this very day, will always start and cut a load of firewood. I liked the RA`s so much I always wanted a new one, so I built one to satisfy my longing. I have 4 running RA`s to cut with so I can have one as a shelf queen.
You got some good built saws.not like todays saws whitch i say are made.its why alot of those old saws are still around.my sister-inlaws her father still uses his ra he bought new in the 50's. Try to buy of him na rather part with the wife first.lol.lol.

That is one lovely saw. I have an RA, and it sure as hell doesn't look like that.
After disassembly and dunked in a pressure wash tank, almost all the yellow paint was gone.

Almost left it all bare aluminum but hit upon a distinctive color scheme of Allis Chalmer orange and International off white.

03A7F9DC-9BAB-4421-A92D-4487C3A81FF1.jpeg

Homelite XP 1000 in AC orange and Ford gray. ( I dislike red & green.)

After disassembly and dunked in a pressure wash tank, almost all the yellow paint was gone.

Almost left it all bare aluminum but hit upon a distinctive color scheme of Allis Chalmer orange and International off white.

View attachment 1012732

Beatufull job.nice love the colours.

No not to much. My 270 i stripped it and repainted. The 175 pealed a little.i have a 270 im rebuilding and their is very little paint on it.im re building it right from the crankcase up. I also havebrand new piston rings for it. I have 4 sets of new rings to fit a 270.2 alsi 2 sets 0.20 over size. Their is very little paint left on that saw. Probably their is a problem with the paint.i heard that pioneer was having paint problems.heard it somewhere.need a couple muffler parts for that saw.hard saws to get parts for them.got a co uple parts from mike acres while ago.would love to get a 275 pm saw.also a 177.had 2 very long time ago. Before i started collecting them. Wish i still had them.

I have the two large saws, and two other saws built by PM in Vancouver. They are both 70 cc saws, and were built with the brand names of SkillSaw, and SkillShop 1716.
The two big saws run great, but I have been busy with other projects, and haven't had the time to do anything more with the 70 cc saws other than to prime them and make sure they run.

Yeah i have 3 of them 1632 2of them and a 340 canadien pm saw .2 are 70cc. 340 is 58cc.they were pretty good saws.i like them.you have any parts for any of them friend?
I wish I could help you, but I don't have any PM parts. The only parts I have, are for Husky 2100s, and even then I don't have the plastic parts I would need to make up a complete saw. One of my large saws is a 380 (122cc), and the other is a 371. Both are in excellent working condition, but the paint jobs on both of them are peeling.

Now sit an RA on the workbench beside a Stihl Contra/Lightening and start comparing them.
I have done so many times over, the similarities are certainly there, one only needs to look at the saw Stihl was pushing at that time frame, the BLK. The Contra had no lead in models before it that even closely resembled the parts layout the RA and Contra use, it was easy to see the progression of the IEL chainsaws as each model incorporated newer designed components leading up to the vertical cylinder RA.

I agree a lot of the design concepts of the RA are seen in the Contra.

Now set a Stihl BD beside an IEL Timberhog K model. A lot of parts are direct copies, as in the parts will interchange and the Stihl was 10 years earlier. Truth is they all stole design characteristics from each other.

View attachment 1012732

I have a large Homelite, and it is labeled as, XP Powermaster 1000 Profesional. I would sure like to know the differences between my saw and the XP 1000. I looked on Mike Acres site, but nothing there that was helpful. I live in Canada, so I am guessing that the saw was built here, but don't know if they had a factory in Vancouver or not. Any help, or sites that would be helpful, would be appreciated. The saw is a runner, with awesome compression and no muffler.

Attachments

• Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_lh_s.JPG
    Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_lh_s.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_rh_s.JPG
    Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_rh_s.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back