VP Pro Max 97 octane 50:1 gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravedigger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody try this yet? I've been running their regular 94 octane SEF 50:1 with no problems at all! Great stuff.

VP Pro-Max is an ETHANOL-FREE fuel mixed with best-in-class synthetic oil at 50:1

Pro-Max is specifically designed for the unique demands of high-load, high rpm professional chainsaws operating in high temperature and other extreme conditions. Its 97 octane rating provides maximum detonation protection, especially when air cooling systems are restricted by wood chips, sawdust or sap-pitch, and during jobs requiring many starts and stops which can rapidly build heat within the engine.
http://www.vp-sef.com/index.php/products/pro-max

Regular S.E.F and true fuel would be great, the way chainsaw engines work
Stock saws don't have to worry about detonation. Ask mastermind, or any of the saw porters. That's what I have been taught.... probably not worth extra cash ... but probably good stuff!!!!

If your looking for performance gain in fuel you will be stepping backwards with the 97 octane rating.

My saws are mostly ported and run fine even on 87 non-ethanol. I usually run 91 non-corn fuel. No problems yet. Porter of my saws said no need for higher octane. No benefit

One thing I just discovered on Friday is that they make canned fuel with no oil (to run in your lawnmower?) I wonder how much two stroke equipment has been burned up by people assuming it's ok to put in a two stroke.

97 is too high octane!
97 is too high octane!
97 is too high octane!
97 is too high octane!

Kind of sort of,

it depends on the application.

I have milled many trees with an old Sachs Dolmar 153.

Parts are near non-existent for these old saws, although I have collected enough spares to last my lifetime the original saw is still running fine and gets a steady diet of VP 110 and Klotz techniplate.

Perhaps it is overkill, but ripping wide slabs is very hard on any saw ever built.

I sure don't see any harm done using a high octane fuel, except perhaps to the wallet eh?

The slower burn no doubt keeps the saw a little cooler and retards the ignition a tiny bit, both good things when milling and lugging it down to it's knees.

Kind of sort of,

it depends on the application.

I have milled many trees with an old Sachs Dolmar 153.

Parts are near non-existent for these old saws, although I have collected enough spares to last my lifetime the original saw is still running fine and gets a steady diet of VP 110 and Klotz techniplate.

Perhaps it is overkill, but ripping wide slabs is very hard on any saw ever built.

I sure don't see any harm done using a high octane fuel, except perhaps to the wallet eh?

The slower burn no doubt keeps the saw a little cooler and retards the ignition a tiny bit, both good things when milling and lugging it down to it's knees.
I'd be running 89-93 non eth if I were in your shoes, but I'm not. :)

Well it's available and and is alot cheaper than 'canned fuel'.

Different strokes for different folks eh?

I'd be running something like that if I couldn't get non ethanol easily.

No non-ethanol pump gas around here that I know of. You burn corn gas, av gas, race gas, or canned gas. I burn corn gas with stabil.

I went to pure-gas.org and found some about 30 minutes down the interstate. I think unless I find some a lot closer, the E10 and Stabil additive will have to do.

I went to pure-gas.org and found some about 30 minutes down the interstate. I think unless I find some a lot closer, the E10 and Stabil additive will have to do.
That site list nothing that close around here. I drive about 30 minutes one way and buy 15 gallons at a time.

E10 with Stabil is probably fine, but I'd rather have no E...

I just went to the marina 10 miles from home and got 5 gallons of 91 octane E Free for $5.13 a gallon. How the hell do these people afford these boats this guy was filling up his yacht and put $650 in it and the boat was easily $500-$600k

I just went to the marina 10 miles from home and got 5 gallons of 91 octane E Free for $5.13 a gallon. How the hell do these people afford these boats this guy was filling up his yacht and put $650 in it and the boat was easily $500-$600k
They don't make their living running
chainsaws!

Nor working on helicopters. :cry: I wouldn't waste my money on boats anyway. I'd waste my money on other more important things.

Gas here is $6.73 per.

I run 50:50 AVgas to regular. Just 'cause I can. I add about enough Husky synthetic oil to make it 32 or 40:1 I think. It's all good. If I lived where it was warm I'd run 100% avgas and Blendzall castor oil...'cause it smells good.

This season, even the marinas in my area dont have non-ethanol. Its all ethanol based !!

Boat owners are livid !!!!

Latest posts

Back