Wake up call

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
I never like getting calls in the middle of the night, so my phone is set to silence all calls except from family.
So when I woke this morning around 5:00, I was dismayed to see 2 voicemails from a renter at around 1:30 and 2:00 A.M.
That can’t be good. Normally he’d wait until morning if it were a furnace or AC issue.
Turns out some drunk 15-year-old kid hit the house with his dad’s truck.

Knocked the walls off the slab.
Took out the neighbors’ fence and nearly hit the other neighbors’ car.

4DE6D0FC-EE85-48B0-BEC5-260E9EFF4351.jpeg1EAD121C-0636-46BA-87A7-9ADFCEE49B1B.jpeg1764A6F7-8CFE-4BCF-9D34-402D0A95FD67.jpeg35D4A978-AD03-4D28-8FE1-A18AA75B5D27.jpegC51C8C92-2AAE-4A8F-B50B-20BDE2BC93F5.jpeg2B69B3AA-A126-4822-927D-0C968B5DF2FE.jpeg
Kid is OK, I think, but his life for the next few years are ruined. No license for a while, and maybe some jail time? Came into town doing 90, ran from the cops, and I don’t think he had permission to take the truck- certainly not legally allowed at 15 and after curfew.
Fortunately they have insurance, so I don’t have to worry about that.
Not exactly how I wanted to start my Sunday.

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite
I never like getting calls in the middle of the night, so my phone is set to silence all calls except from family.
So when I woke this morning around 5:00, I was dismayed to see 2 voicemails from a renter at around 1:30 and 2:00 A.M.
That can’t be good. Normally he’d wait until morning if it were a furnace or AC issue.
Turns out some drunk 15-year-old kid hit the house with his dad’s truck.

Knocked the walls off the slab.
Took out the neighbors’ fence and nearly hit the other neighbors’ car.

View attachment 935592View attachment 935593View attachment 935594View attachment 935595View attachment 935596View attachment 935597
Kid is OK, I think, but his life for the next few years are ruined. No license for a while, and maybe some jail time? Came into town doing 90, ran from the cops, and I don’t think he had permission to take the truck- certainly not legally allowed at 15 and after curfew.
Fortunately they have insurance, so I don’t have to worry about that.
Not exactly how I wanted to start my Sunday.
At least the vehicle didn't wind up in the living room. Similar thing happened in Champaign this summer that killed the homeowner.

If a first offender, probably get no reform school time(no jail ) , probation & community service, maybe a fine

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bummer. What the heck age can you get a drivers license in your state?? 15 is too young here. He is a minor. Nothing will go on permanent record. Hope your Ins co will cover the damage. His farther will probably have some “splainin” to do as he would be responsible for the truck. At least no one was hurt. I have had my mailbox wiped out twice by drunk /mowie wowie drivers.

Del_

Career arborist
I bet that was a rude awakening for the renter!

We were doing tree work at a house about 15 years ago and the lady across the street got out of her car and it rolled down her driveway and hit the house were were working at. It was about a 20ft. difference in altitude and her car knocked our clients house a few inches off of it's cement pad. Her car went ten feet into the house but luckily nobody was injured. It was a very expensive repair.

We were lucky we and out equipment were in the back yard at the time and we didn't even know it had happened.

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
Yup once a car is stolen there is no insurance . Insurance is for the owner and is extended to anyone he gives permission to drive the vehicle

hope the father had good insurance and not state minimums . Had a client who insisted 10k property damage was enough coverage . Had him sign the application and initial each coverage . Sure enough he hit a telephone pole one night . Emergency repairs at night and replacement the next day to the tune of 20k . Insurance paid 10

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

Wow Josh, only came across this, not good at all, just what you need when your already busy enough.

hows it all panning out so far ?

So far so good. I had a friend submit a bid for me, and I was a bit surprised at how high it was. The insurance adjuster (really nice guy!) had to scale it back. For example, there was no insulation in the house, but I asked the contractor to put that in the bid anyway. Of course, the insurance is responsible only for replacement cost, not improvements, so no insulation cost. Also there is depreciation to account for, but I think that I'll do all right out of all of this. I don't know if what he quoted will be the actual check I get, or if the actual insurance company will do something different, but I liked the adjuster's numbers.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

Glad things are moving along and insurance is not jacking with you.

Are you going to repair it? Seems to be a lot of damage to the whole structure.

Yes, I'll repair it. I'll have to rebuild 3 walls, but that's no big deal. No plumbing in the walls there - only electrical.

Now's the great time to add that side cat door the tenant's been beggin for.......

Just kidding, I feel your pain but at least it wasn't yr tenant's doing. My last tenant disaster was a while back, he flipped his lid and decided to flood the house.

Dang! How'd that turn out in the end? Friend of mine had a really nice house she rented out and the tenant totally trashed it. She sued, won, and managed to extract the money. Good story.
Unfortunately there are too many bad stories out there.

gumneck

gumneck

ArboristSite Guru
Yes, I'll repair it. I'll have to rebuild 3 walls, but that's no big deal. No plumbing in the walls there - only electrical.

Dang! How'd that turn out in the end? Friend of mine had a really nice house she rented out and the tenant totally trashed it. She sued, won, and managed to extract the money. Good story.
Unfortunately there are too many bad stories out there.

Insurance covered the damage. I had to tear out bathroom tile, floor, and walls. Tear out kitchen counters, cabinets, sheetrock and floor. In the end the place looks and is much better. The guy was a Coast Guardsman and what happened wasn't his nature. After I called the ambulance for the guy I never heard from him again. His C.O. was notified and that was it. In spite of all the damage the guy was in bad mental and physical shape. He had just a headon collision and airbag deployed. Something was wrong with him for what he did to the place to happen.
If you're lucky, life moves on and we have to move with it.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Are you going to repair it?
You had to ask Steve. :innocent: