Walbro HD 17A not holding any (absolutely any) pressure.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First time vacuum and pressure testing a carb. Watched a lot of videos and understand what should be happening.

There is only one pipe extending out of the carb so I know it is the fuel inlet.
The needle value does drop all the way to the bottom of it port in the carburetor.
Both the the original needle valve and the new kit needle valve are the same length.

I have a Walbro HD 17A not holding any (absolutely any) pressure. I have ultrasonic cleaned the carb. Tried the original needle with the rubber tip and the kits all metal tip. My Mityvac shows absolutely no pressure while pumping. The needle does not move.

I know the vac and lines to the carb are not leaking as I tested them. I see pressure if I disconnect the carb and pinch closed the line from the mityvac.

Is there supposed to be a rubber piece at the bottom of the carb needle valves hole? The Walbro parts diagram doesn't appear to show any such piece.

Do I need to wet the carb to get it to hold absolutely any pressure?

Got it figured. You have to have the fuel pump side bolted up to complete the pathways.
Thanks for letting me put it into words with made me think a little more clearly.

Back