Want to mill own lumber. Would like input. New to it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-203654_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-203654_eBay.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210522-203640_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-203640_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210522-203606_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-203606_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 20
I haven’t priced anything in quite awhile, the price on the 372XP seems about right.
If you are wanting to mill bigger than about 20”, you will need bigger than a 24” mill, unless you use the G555-B to trim it down to a narrower width.

The guide rail kit, didn’t blow up well on my phone, but it looks like each rail is 3 pieces, the older Granberg 9’, and newer 10’ rails are 1 piece, as are the 5’ rails. Granberg does offer the connector kits to be able to mill longer beams, but the fewer joints, the more rigid the rail system will be, giving you better results in your lumber. I would recommend, and have myself the Granberg EZ Rail system, but it is your money, your choice

you had asked if a 36” bar is necessary, it would be the best choice for a 30” mill
For a 36” mill, you will want a 42” bar

Doug

I haven’t priced anything in quite awhile, the price on the 372XP seems about right.
If you are wanting to mill bigger than about 20”, you will need bigger than a 24” mill, unless you use the G555-B to trim it down to a narrower width.

The guide rail kit, didn’t blow up well on my phone, but it looks like each rail is 3 pieces, the older Granberg 9’, and newer 10’ rails are 1 piece, as are the 5’ rails. Granberg does offer the connector kits to be able to mill longer beams, but the fewer joints, the more rigid the rail system will be, giving you better results in your lumber. I would recommend, and have myself the Granberg EZ Rail system, but it is your money, your choice

you had asked if a 36” bar is necessary, it would be the best choice for a 30” mill

Doug

Last prices I got on a Husky were the 572’s with a wrap in full West Coast trim and they were around that. For milling skip the 372’s they’re a nice little falling saw when hopped up but stock they’re dogs even the xpw’s. For milling use I’d look into a 395 it’s a better chassis for milling it’ll stay cooler has a better clutch setup and the power will be there if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't afford a portable band mill.
Then rent one. Preferably with the operating dude.
Or build one.
If you are a bit practical (and can weld), you can build a great cheap bandmill for the price of a good milling saw with attachment. And after you are done, you still saved yourself two weeks.
Plus a bandmill is far more reliable and every cut only takes 2mm wood where an Alaskanmill will take 8mm. Those mm ers add up.

Nobody's mentioned a logosol mill if you are going chainsaw route.

I've not priced them lately but I got my M5 with a new 066 20 years ago and it has served me well. They had a killer sale back then and I paid ~$2400 will the 066, extra bars and chains.

Doug

Does anyone have a used 395xp they would like to sell me. I can't find one for less then $1600. All the local dealers can't even get them. They're none on ebay or Amazon.

Does anyone have a used 395xp they would like to sell me. I can't find one for less then $1600. All the local dealers can't even get them. They're none on ebay or Amazon.

If you’re going to pay that look up @thechainsawguy here he might still have some 3120’s they were less then that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a good chain. Skip tooth or non.
Ripping or regular.
What brand names should I be looking for. Bar and chain.

I would like to thank everyone for their help.
I learned a lot. Even though I grew up in the logging industry I didn't know there was so much information and options for bars, chains, mills and so on. My father basically handed me a saw and said go cut trees.

Latest posts

Back