Wanting smaller tractor with loader. Mitsubishi or Yanmar worthy of consideration?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just clicked on that biglittletractor link.

first thing I saw was a "TYM" tractor. Tong Yang Moolsan. That is a Korean tractor, not a chinese tractor. They are a "component" machine from a fairly large Korean company. They bought Kukje last year or a couple of years ago. Kukje makes Bransons, which appear to be very decent.

TYM makes the larger Mahindras, and supplies other makers with machinery to rebrand, as well as selling under their own name. TYM's will likely be cheaper and fitted to a higher level than what you would get in a rebranded model.

I would go look. If you are going to stretch it out and go new, I would look at Kioti, Branson, and LS as well (all Korean). LS supplies many of the New Holland small tractors In the same way Yanmar supplies John Deere.

I think the best of that bunch is Kioti. Kioti is the only one that manufactures all of the major components of the whole tractor themselves. While the others were making cutlery and wire rope, Kioti was making gears and shafts.

A smaller Waldon type loader would be a tougher critter if you are just looking for a loader. The front axle design on smaller Asian tractors really is not for tough loader work.
You want something that has planetary reduction at the wheel.
Front axle repair seems to be my most numerous job on anybody's make of Asian tractor

Why not rent one?

I want one but spending $60; k then it’s going to sit when I’m done. I started building one using a int154 tractor. I boxed the front frame to the uprites with the lifting arm brackets and the arms. Then I was doing good planning the front subframe to fab the rear subframe next when I wasn’t feeling too good. Prostate cancer put the kabosh on my project for a while. I have everything for this build. I want a front end loader and backhoe, all the hydraulics. My son is a engineer and I give him all the hands on experience I can. He’s very book smart and with the hands on he’s to the point no one can bs him. I worked with new engineers who had no knowledge on how things work.
It needs,
Power steering run off the orginal hydraulics
Front bucket with hydraulics seperate hydraulic system crank driven.
Rear backhoe with hydraulics seperate system pto powered
Hoses and stainless steel tubing.

My neighbor said it couldn’t be done. Being a machine builder and working with hydraulics and educated in structural design plus I’m a welder fabricator too nothing is impossible. That’s the worst thing he said to me.

Appreciate the advice, everyone! Let me clarify a couple things: 95% of the trees on my place are under 12" diameter at the base. And the rocks....I'm talking the size of two basketballs...and not that many, really.

I grew up on a farm running a variety of tractors... so have a good sense of what would suit my needs. A 40 hp would be great...but I could get by with 20...or even less if the price was right. If money were no object...or I didn't mind debt, I'd get a backhoe. I'm fond of my freedom though (free from debt) and intend to stay free.

I have an old Oliver with scraper and cultivator. Would like to get a mower for it. But, I need something to lift...to move dirt. And because I'm a free man (no debt), I have the time and patience to own something smaller that will take longer to do some tasks.
no doubt! i would get the 40, even if i had to pay for it over 6 years! (72 mo plan)

1621953613312.png
1621953674108.png

I dug my little pond with a small skid steer and a bucket. Granted I have sandy soil so the digging was not difficult. It did take some time but operating a skid steer is fun so it wasn't boring. If you have the time and enjoy playing with equipment, size doesn't really mater.
I have a friend that bought some used equipment at auction and worked his land then sold it back at auction and got most his money back. It was a lot cheaper then hiring it out or spending a lot on equipment he wouldn't need after he was done.
definitely an art to getting the bucket full on each pass into the pile or whatever ie being scooped...

A while back I borrowed my neighbors 1450 cub cadet with the fel. Don’t laugh I moved some serious dirt with the bucket.

Back