The War Wagon Chronicles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful, you'll end up like I did!

View attachment 989188
I built the trailer myself and used drill stem for an axel, so it's preety skookem. Also, dead dry Spruce is pretty light compared to hard woods. However, your right. I may push it to far one day. Only time will tell! 😂👍

Good fix👍 I've been hauling fire wood out of the brush for 25+ years with a Honda TRX 400. Ive had three of them and haven't broken a hitch yet. My friends on their big 700 Grizzlies and 800 sportsman are always breaking and welding on thier hitches! Looks like in your picture your roll'n on a Honda too. Your trailer toung may be the weakest part of your trailer, but you'll have to give the hitch on your wheeler hell before it breaks! Hauling fire wood is pretty much just a fun hobby for me. I use to cut timber for a living on an industrial scale in logging camps, but I'm starting to faze out of it. However, I still love running power saws and cutting snags for firewood. I feed three wood stoves on my property and also supply a few elders in my small rural community with fire wood as well. So cutting patches of standing dead is a fun hobby that keeps me busy and my cutting skills honed and my wood trailer over loaded! 😂

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Well, I built the hitch on the wheeler so if it breaks I probably have much bigger problems! I've had this Honda since 2006 - its a 2005 Rincon. 5k+ miles of firewood cutting, lawn rolling and snow plowing fun. It's been used hard but taken care of and knock on wood never left me stranded. I snagged a set of wheels and tires from a buddies side by side that he totaled. A little too much bling bling for me but the price was right, and they wear like iron being on a lighter machine.

Go with WAR WAGONS!!!

A friend had a M715 Kaiser military PU "1 1/4 ton", w/straight up sides, we stacked whole bed 1-2' higher than the cab an the springs didn't even know it. Not as nice as this one, but had original 230 OHC 6.

1 M715.png

I've got an M332 ammo carrier trailer you can't overload, has 20" wheels same as deuce + 1/2, too big for small farm tractors....looks like this:

1 M332.png

Go with WAR WAGONS!!!

A friend had a M715 Kaiser military PU "1 1/4 ton", w/straight up sides, we stacked whole bed 1-2' higher than the cab an the springs didn't even know it. Not as nice as this one, but had original 230 OHC 6.

View attachment 990405

I've got an M332 ammo carrier trailer you can't overload, has 20" wheels same as deuce + 1/2, too big for small farm tractors....looks like this:

View attachment 990407
Yeahhha! 👍

How I load big rounds on the War Wagon.

First, I dump the bed up and use my hookaroon to position a round flat on the ground up against the tail gate as a step to roll rounds on and into the bed. Then I roll a couple of the smaller big rounds on first.☝️ Then I always try to load the biggest rounds in the load forward, so the bed dumps back down easier!
IMG_20220523_144846193_HDR.jpgSecond, I dump the bed back up and use my hookaroon and/or peavy to position the first step back from the tail gate a bit, and another round flat on top of the first up against the tail gate for a second step. Then roll the last two on top. ☝️ These two are usually the smallest of the big six round load. IMG_20220523_150018066_HDR.jpgIMG_20220523_150458779_HDR.jpgThen I use my peavy as a deadman and the hookaroon as a support member while I notch the rounds for ratchet straps and while I also strap down the load.
IMG_20220523_151135760_HDR.jpgAfter I secure the first strap good and tight. I stow the log tools in the bed with the load. IMG_20220523_151536102_HDR.jpg
Then I secure remaining straps and stow and secure saw on either the load or in the dog box on wheeler.IMG_20220523_151651721_HDR.jpgThen start truck'n on down the line...IMG_20220523_152815573.jpgLoading a big six round load can be either easier or harder than it seems considering these rounds sometimes weigh in at 200 plus pounds! A hookaroon plays a big part in moving rounds for loading. It's a must have tool! If I had to choose between the hookaroon or peavy. I'll take the hookaroon every time!
Hope you enjoyed the pictures and comments. Until next time....

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

I think you just need a bigger wagon!

I have intentions on building a small 4 wheeled cart. About the width of the atv and maybe 6 -7 ft long with at least one floating axles to cope with uneven terrain.

All the fire wood I cut is standing dead Sitka Spruce. Not much for hard wood at all except Alder, and our alder is more like a bush than a tree with the absolute biggest being 6" at the base.

Yes, these Spruce snags are already seasoned dry, ready to burn! That's why I like them so much! 👍😉

Back