Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's over $10/gal. Actual bar oil is $6/gal with careful shopping.

No thank you.
Did you do any careful shopping for this (I didn't) or just make an assumption for the sake of argument?

That's right at $10 a gallon which is about going rate for cheaper "actual" bar oils from what I've seen. Not tryin' to shop that hard to salvage a couple bucks on a gallon of oil, that link was just the first thing I came across from a local joint and I was sharing in case anyone else was wondering about the product itself.

No assumptions. The link you posted was over $10/gal. I buy bar oil at $6/gal when I see it's on sale, at a store I frequent anyway.

I stay stocked up, but if I needed bar oil right then and there, I'm just buying what's available and not worrying about the cost.

I'm lazy, and bar oil is a solution which works, is widely available, and is cheap. I'm not spending any time or effort at all, to find an alternative that is less available, less convenient, probably works as well as what I'm already using, and might be able to be found for as little cost as what I'm already using. I'm just going to keep using what I'm already using.

No assumptions. The link you posted was over $10/gal. I buy bar oil at $6/gal when I see it's on sale, at a store I frequent anyway.

I stay stocked up, but if I needed bar oil right then and there, I'm just buying what's available and not worrying about the cost.

I'm lazy, and bar oil is a solution which works, is widely available, and is cheap. I'm not spending any time or effort at all, to find an alternative that is less available, less convenient, probably works as well as what I'm already using, and might be able to be found for as little cost as what I'm already using. I'm just going to keep using what I'm already using.

Gotcha, out of curiosity what are you using? I was poking around various sources like TSC, Walmart, etc. and couldn't find anything under $10. Maybe it's just a regional pricing diff. Wondering if that's also the difference we're seeing in the Walmart link which is 4.8 gallons at $48 when I looked at it.

BiMart is a local store, bar oil is usually ~$10/gal like you mention. A couple times per year it's on sale for $6/gal, and I grab some if I need it.

No clue what brand it is. It all works exactly as well as any other brand, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Just checked, now it's $14/gal. Times are a-changing.

Gotcha, out of curiosity what are you using? I was poking around various sources like TSC, Walmart, etc. and couldn't find anything under $10. Maybe it's just a regional pricing diff.
I see it on sale at Menard’s (a regional home improvement chain) frequently under $7 / gallon. Brand varies.

I assume that it is re-refined motor oil, but it does not stink of sulfur like some brands.

2EBD9A7C-B630-47E8-B4DC-40F58C7E8D5B.jpeg

Philbert

I see it on sale at Menard’s (a regional home improvement chain) frequently under $7 / gallon. Brand varies.

I assume that it is re-refined motor oil, but it does not stink like sulfur like some brands have.

View attachment 940788

Philbert
Most places that carry it in my neck of the woods is 10/12 dollars a gallon. TS sometimes has it on sale for 7 bucks but most of the time there price is about 10 bucks on average.I have never seen any bar oil under 7 bucks anywhere.

Somebody made a comment about putting some STP into used motor oil to improve its adherence - that is a brilliant idea! Best of both worlds- lots of free oil and you still get the improved lubricating and cooler temperatures of a high anti-strip oil.

Cutting line for surveying requires minimum downtime: (every minute costs 3 or 4 man-minutes of crew time) minimal fluid refills and chain sharpening, and pushing the bar through whatever is in the way to drop it as quickly as possible. I try to balance the bar oil feed with the gas feed so that I don’t have to make extra stops, and I use carbide-coated Oregon micro-chisel chains that will last all day between sharpening if one keeps them in the cellulose and out of the dirt. A cool chain with minimal oil works best.

Good points , Frank if your recommending new straight 30 with a stp as a oil modifier . Used oil is a poor choice for bar oil use with or with out additives . P.S. Agree with the Sheep with benefits analogy though ! :blob2:

Used motor oil is a known carcinogen & some of you lot want to breathe that stuff in by using it? Are you in full control of your faculties?

Used motor oil is a known carcinogen & some of you lot want to breathe that stuff in by using it? Are you in full control of your faculties?
I'm sure even new bar oil is also a known carcinogen. I highly doubt using bar oil of any kind will result in breathing in any of it what so ever. Your not burning it or breathing in any vapors in any way. And how may millions of gallons of motor oil are burned or leaked away and spread everywhere from the millions of cars/truck and power equipment that is used everyday. Oil is a natural product of mother Earth. She made it and she disposes it all on her own.

I'm sure even new bar oil is also a known carcinogen. I highly doubt using bar oil of any kind will result in breathing in any of it what so ever. Your not burning it or breathing in any vapors in any way. And how may millions of gallons of motor oil are burned or leaked away and spread everywhere from the millions of cars/truck and power equipment that is used everyday. Oil is a natural product of mother Earth. She made it and she disposes it all on her own.
No, new bar oil is not carcinogenic, if you have ever cut near water you would have noticed oil getting on the water, you can't see it, it is a mist, it's floating around in the air, you are indesting it in whether it's attached to fine sawdust & you're breathing it in or skin contact, most people want to reduce their consumption of toxic things, not increase them

I have never used waste oil - that’s how I got into this. An old logger from Ketchikan (must have been 50! Old for a big-tree sawyer, anyway) told me 40 years ago that Texaco (now Chevron) Rock Drill Oil would double the life of my chain. That’s what I’ve used ever since,, except in emergencies. I 5-gallon can would last a season for me.

And I hate to break it to you, but any petroleum product is a carcinogen. I don’t recommend breathing, eating, or otherwise ingesting it. Regarding most: my saws have never made a mist. I check to see if the bar’s getting oil by pointing it at something to see if there’s spatter, by I don’t breathe it. What saw are you using?

No, new bar oil is not carcinogenic, if you have ever cut near water you would have noticed oil getting on the water, you can't see it, it is a mist, it's floating around in the air, you are indesting it in whether it's attached to fine sawdust & you're breathing it in or skin contact, most people want to reduce their consumption of toxic things, not increase them
Dude, your about as smart as Joe Biden.

So the potential exposure to carcinogens from the bar oil is a concern, but the carcinogens from the exhaust that we're constantly breathing and exposing everything around us to while we're running it is OK? 🤔

I mean, I don't have a dog in this fight, I just find it amusing that the elephant in the room is being ignored when talking about potential carcinogenic effects of running a saw. Which granted also has nothing to do with the original topic. 😄

@vizette Here you go:

Well, ain't none of it good, just degrees of how bad?

Burn oil and gasoline in your saw engine, it makes one trip through and it's gone. Yeah, you breathe some of it, which isn't good. This is also why I won't use leaded fuel, like some people do.

Now instead of running that oil and exhaust through the engine only once and breathing it, instead pull the contaminants out and start concentrating them into a fluid. Do that for thousands and thousands of miles, so you've got the contaminants from a few hundred gallons of gasoline concentrated into that fluid. Now take that fluid, aerosolize it, and breath it in. Ain't going to kill you, hell I've practically bathed in the stuff before, but it's definitely a whole different level of "isn't good". Why the hell would you ever do that on purpose?

Real bar oil is so cheap and so available, there's just zero reason to think this is a good idea. Pack your lunch instead of hitting the drive through window for one day, and you'll have the money to buy a gallon or two of bar oil.

I don't get why this keeps coming up.

Back