Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of the hot debates about which trailer axle grease is best. Some swear by red and tacky, others only use this $$$ brand or that, others use Walmart's SuperTech, and all have good success with each.

"Grease is cheaper than steel." It seems to me that as long as the bar stays oily, things will wear less than if it's running dry, regardless of what particular oil you are using.

Used motor oil is thinner, and auto lubes more liberally, so it seems to auto-correct for it's lesser lubricating properties. I've never had any problems with it, but I find it slightly annoying that I have to fill up more with it. I'm really happy with using used gear oil, and now I'm going to start using hydraulic fluid, too.

As far as used engine oil, I get way more than I can ever run through a saw. We run multiple vehicles, tractors, ATV's, splitters, pressure washers, tractors, mowers and more. I've been giving most of my used oil to my local auto mechanic, but I'm considering buying a waste oil furnace like he has. They keep their shop nice and toasty, and it costs them nothing. I just need to find one cheap enough.
which is where most of my laughter is directed. lube is lube.... anything you get from used motor oil is no worse than the grit you normally pick up from cutting wood. I personally use my used motor oil for a space heater that is designed and built it (By me) but anything else is game, you can adjust for it hence the adjustable oiler..

Good point about a saw always having junk in it.

I'm not going to adjust my oiler, as I think it's kind of self-regulating. It gives a little more of the lower lubricity used oil, and less of the thicker, better oils. So either way, I'm covered.

That space heater sounds very interesting! Details, details!

Did you modify a kerosene heater or something? Do you have to clean it out a lot? That is exactly what I'm looking for in my shop.

I've seen people just add a fire pan and an oil dripper to a wood stove. Build a wood fire, get everything preheated, then turn on the oil dripper and let it run. I'd do exactly that if my homeowner's insurance would cover it. Probably have 20 gallons of used oil I need to take to the dump right now, and all they do is burn it in their own heaters.

I have a Reznor waste oil furnace in my shop
23 years of running on it aprox 28000 hrs at 1.7 gal an hour.
It is a very good unit and will run on 25% gas.
i have 2 years worth of veggie oil once the regs get to crazy on waste oil.
It needs to be cleaned about every 600-700 hours.
Waste oil is messy no mater how hard you try to stay clean.

Good point about a saw always having junk in it.

I'm not going to adjust my oiler, as I think it's kind of self-regulating. It gives a little more of the lower lubricity used oil, and less of the thicker, better oils. So either way, I'm covered.

That space heater sounds very interesting! Details, details!

Did you modify a kerosene heater or something? Do you have to clean it out a lot? That is exactly what I'm looking for in my shop.
i took an O2 cylinder and cut the top off to match a 5" chimney pipe, put legs on it to keep it stable a hole in the bottom where a smaller blower and a stainless steel grid sits. it drips via a tank through a valve to adjust drip speed. start the drip, light off with a cup kerosene or diesel and turn on blower at low speed after about 5 minutes the stainless grid is hot enough that the oil vaporizes when it hits it... about 10 minutes after that the oil vaporizes about half way down the cylinder and I open the fan control all the way. by about the 40 min mark the entire top half of the cylinder is glowing red hot. this is for in the shop only in the largest open space. the first 5 minutes of burning are dirty but by the time it hits full speed it burns with no visible smoke...just a metric **** ton of heat.

Why would you spend $1000 or so dollars on a good saw only to use ****** used motor oil as bar lube?

Someone posted that used motor oil has nothing worse in it than the wood you are cutting......wood is not metal particles.

You can pick up a gallon of bar oil at Tractor Supply for around $8. No brainer here.

Using used motor oil is stupidity at it's finest!

When I was dealing with a wholesaler doing flea markets they had clearances on oregon bars and Oregon chain loops time to time, laser tip bars were $5 and chain loops were $6. Bar oil or drain oil? Your choice, I use bar oil mainly.

I'm sure even new bar oil is also a known carcinogen. I highly doubt using bar oil of any kind will result in breathing in any of it what so ever. Your not burning it or breathing in any vapors in any way. And how may millions of gallons of motor oil are burned or leaked away and spread everywhere from the millions of cars/truck and power equipment that is used everyday. Oil is a natural product of mother Earth. She made it and she disposes it all on her own.
Bar oil isn't a known carcinogen and you most certainly are breathing whatever you lube your chain with.

What about all that 2 stroke oil your are breathing? The amount of bar oil that vaporizes enough to be able to breath it is almost nil if any at all.
It doesn't have to vaporize and in fact isn't vaporized. It's aerosolised and in higher quantity than what two cycle oil comes out the exhaust. Two cycle oil is also much more benign than motor oil.

So at the risk of starting a war…

And just for fun....

I can buy an OEM replacement bar for between $25 and $30 and often much cheaper on Facebook Marketplace. That bar would guide an 18 inch 62 drive link low profile 3/8 inch chain. This would fit about every Poulan and some of the Echos (my400) and goodness knows what else and cut bunches of firewood. These saws use a ton of oil pumping it out all over the place and leaking when not in use. BTW, If I buy an imported bar from Walmart, I’m at roughly $13.

A gallon of bar oil is somewhere between $10 and $15 depending upon what you get.

So for the cost of 1 to 2 gallons of bar oil, you can replace a bar.

I’ve read in about a dozen places how horrible it is to use free waste motor oil as bar oil. The idea being it’s not as sticky and therefore doesn’t lubricate as well. Ok I get th argument. Probably makes sense for pro saws with expensive bars.

Can someone convince me that it’s so much worse to use free waste oil that doing so would trash the bar before I hit the economic break even point?

When the consumable guide bar and a gallon of consumable bar oil cost so close to the same amount, everything’s disposable/consumable. Not that the Poulan isn’t also disposable, but what about the oil delivery system can possibly be harmed by motor oil? Can’t think of any issues there.
If you will do what I do you can use waste oil.. I fill a clean empty gallon jug with waste oil and sit it in the barn.. I have plenty of that from the farm. So there may be several jugs of oil sitting.. The one that's the oldest is then poured into another clean gallon jug,, BY then the dirt and sludge has settled in the bottom of the FIRST jug.. SO pour slowly and let the sludge stay in the old JUG..NOW.. divide that oil into two jugs and add STP.. The heavy syrup..It's cheap..under or around 3 bucks..NOW,, get another gallon of old settled oil and finish filling these TWO gallons almost full.. NOT quiet full..Shake them well..Watch your chain..Let the saw run half throttle shut it off and check the bottom links..IF it's not moving fast enough enough for you.. Thin just a TINY bit with Transmission fluid..I made a Viscosity guage and I get mine just right.. I never buy (unless in that rare event where I must) bar oil..In fact the good oil out of my equipment is slicker and seems better than the cheap bar oil..Check your viscosity.. Bend a heavy wire into half a loop..Leave a gap.. Dip it and hold it level.. My oil sets in the crack when it's right..Good luck..

If you will do what I do you can use waste oil.. I fill a clean empty gallon jug with waste oil and sit it in the barn.. I have plenty of that from the farm. So there may be several jugs of oil sitting.. The one that's the oldest is then poured into another clean gallon jug,, BY then the dirt and sludge has settled in the bottom of the FIRST jug.. SO pour slowly and let the sludge stay in the old JUG..NOW.. divide that oil into two jugs and add STP.. The heavy syrup..It's cheap..under or around 3 bucks..NOW,, get another gallon of old settled oil and finish filling these TWO gallons almost full.. NOT quiet full..Shake them well..Watch your chain..Let the saw run half throttle shut it off and check the bottom links..IF it's not moving fast enough enough for you.. Thin just a TINY bit with Transmission fluid..I made a Viscosity guage and I get mine just right.. I never buy (unless in that rare event where I must) bar oil..In fact the good oil out of my equipment is slicker and seems better than the cheap bar oil..Check your viscosity.. Bend a heavy wire into half a loop..Leave a gap.. Dip it and hold it level.. My oil sets in the crack when it's right..Good luck..
I am sure that makes you feel better, but your still breathing a known carcinogen.

I remember way back when I was a tyke I used Pterodactyl urine from a pregnant female. All natural, non carcenogenic and clung to the chain like glue. Chains and bars lasted 2 millennium minimum. Chains never had to be sharpened. Those were the days my friend.....

I am sure that makes you feel better, but your still breathing a known carcinogen.
Lighten up Francis...

Wow has a plan that he's put some thought into, and while I don't personally use WMO for anything except the occasional bonfire starter, and only consume a small amount of bar oil. So it would never be cost effective. But still I see a lot of merit in his concoction. I think the amount of bar oil making it's way into the lungs are minimal, at best. And "known carcinogen"? Did the regular bar oil get a free pass on that? Or is it more okay for breathing? I change my oil when it turns caramel colored, and would assume that it would take little filtering to once again be useful. But fully agree that bar oil is cheap, so that's what I use.

Back