Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, a little expensive, but custom made, and they wont snag on everything like chaps, the Clogger Zero's arent very hot in the summer (worked all of last summer at 95+ degrees with a heat index above 120 without an issue)
I believe they are also safer than chaps but not 100% on that, the ripstop nylon is amazing, feels like theres nothing to the back of them, like a parachute, but you cant tear it, snagged my ass on the sharp corners of the trailer hundreds of times and not a single mark in the nylon, although I was bleeding afterwards, front is a normal chap like material
I need to get a pair myself. Thanks for sharing your experience.

This is an older post, but I'm going to add to it anyway. This is such an important topic. I've heated with wood most of my life, so I have quite a few cords of wood under my belt. I try to remind myself each time I use a saw that it is the most dangerous tool that I use on the farm. It's hard not to just get used to it and think that after all those hours of sawing, that, "you must be really good at it and bulletproof".

In this picture, you'll see the one cut in my chaps which are about 20 year old. It only cut the nylon on the outside, just a "nick". Well the location of that cut is right where the femoral artery is on your leg/hip area - what If I hadn't had the chaps on and what if would have been deeper? Don't like to think about that.

Another interesting point is that I don't know when that happened!?!? One day when I put the chaps on I saw it and though, OMG! After that incident, I made a vow to myself to ALWAYS put my chaps on - even to just make one cut. My rule is no using the saw without the chaps. It's hard to do, but after many years now I have not violated it.
Absolutely, safety first! That nick on your chaps is a chilling reminder of how things can take a dangerous turn.

My first intro to how important chaps are: I was younger, wearing chaps and swinging around a 441C with a 25" bar, being careless about the bar tip. Got carried away and made a dumb cut plunging the tip into some willow stump, just showing off and being irresponsible. Instantly the saw kicked straight back into my left quad and stopped running from the textile. Went far enough to even nick my skin underneath and cause a tiny blister.

That was eye opening to say the least, and a paradigm shift for how I operate a saw that day forward, I am always laser focused on where that bar tip is since that experience.

The choice to wear chaps or not, was the difference between bleeding out in a bad way, and being here now.

What do you guys think of cheap chaps like this? I’m considering them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PBTRRG5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A450RC3KJPIQL&psc=1
FWIW, I wear the 36” length Echo chaps, about $70. They’re good quality, super comfortable, and not too awkward for when you’re walking in brush. Only complaint is that they’re a bit short for me, and I’m about 6’0-6’1. Idk how tall you are, but if you’re over 5’11-6’0 you’re probably better getting 40” chaps

FWIW, I wear the 36” length Echo chaps, about $70. They’re good quality, super comfortable, and not too awkward for when you’re walking in brush. Only complaint is that they’re a bit short for me, and I’m about 6’0-6’1. Idk how tall you are, but if you’re over 5’11-6’0 you’re probably better getting 40” chaps
I’m just under 5 11. What does FWIW stand for?

Back