Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my knee looked freakishly similar to that (less blood) when I got a cutoff wheel (grinder included) into my left kneecap, I under estimated how much torque my new grinder has I guess, thank god it doesnt have a suicide switch
had it gone 1-2mm deeper it would have been a hospital trip for sure

funny thing is, my pants have almost zero damage from it

I did this as well when I built and installed granite countertops.

It was wide open with a diamond cutting wheel on it. Pretty good gash but no hospital.

It was wide open with a diamond cutting wheel on it. Pretty good gash but no hospital.
dang, mine was spinning down with a .040 cuttoff wheel, almost to bone (right in the side of my kneecap) but it didnt hit, almost zero blood, and freaked mom out a few times, apperently the opening winked at her once

I kept those jeans for years just because I couldn't throw them away.
I’ve got a pair of those. Long hot day and the saw had started getting a little heavy. Fortunately only a couple teeth snagged at almost idle!

Attachments

• D151BCDC-787D-4DCA-9D45-F1553C30C3D6.jpeg
    D151BCDC-787D-4DCA-9D45-F1553C30C3D6.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 41
a2adc8246e5e6f59fb0a4176a882ce8d.jpg

56499acc094bd462be47f12591d0d6db.jpg

7affe7ccd23d3407980b79fa3a62a000.jpg

10b884b420d8aaa29724de65bc75e098.jpg

Pics from the net

I would say you got bit pretty good. It also looks like it healed up real good for just 2 weeks.

Got my left leg twice now. I have chaps and I do use them but sometimes I do get lazy.
The second time the saw grabbed the jeans and drove the bucking spike into my leg.

a2adc8246e5e6f59fb0a4176a882ce8d.jpg

56499acc094bd462be47f12591d0d6db.jpg

7affe7ccd23d3407980b79fa3a62a000.jpg

10b884b420d8aaa29724de65bc75e098.jpg

Pics from the net
Ouch. Does anyone know if those guys lived or died. That's sad stuff. Makes me hurt just looking. I'm interested in THEIR stories. I read about a guy had a saw running when a young Male Cougar attacked. He managed to stay on his feet. Hit the cougar which ran away. Later Cougar was hunted and shot. Had a 6 inch gash but would have probably healed. Those cats are tough. Stealthy also. I was taught to not let anyone see me in the woods unless I know and trust them. Move like a cougar not like a rabbit. I love that silence when the sun is setting and the woods fall deathly silent. You can feel it like a great peace all way through you and resting inside of you. One with the all. Good night.

Get better soon. Glad the lesson appears to look like it only enforced a temporary consequence.

One more lesson that's related, in a loose way: My worst injury from a saw chain was when the saw wasn't even running. I posted on another thread about cutting on hills and it reminded me of something rather embarrassing. After cutting on a steep hill, I took off the chaps because it was hot and humid outside, knowing I was done until moving to another site and carried the chaps on my shoulder. I tripped while climbing up the hill and somehow tumbled in such a way that the bar/chain gave me a couple long cuts where the chaps would have been if I had just left them on. The doc recommended stitches but said I could just get away with special strips and a skin glue that did nearly the same thing, so I chose the latter. Again, the chaps were hanging over my shoulder because the saw was not even running and that seemed to make sense at the time. Stay safe, people.

I never could run a saw with all of that stuff on,---never put it on since. the time I did have it on a tree jumped and I couldnt see it coming and it pushed the saw at me, but instinct made me hit kill switch before saw hit. only got a few tooth marks and a whole lot of blood. A saw can cut meat running or not.
I gotta be able to see whats going on around me at all times so I can move if I have to.

I never could run a saw with all of that stuff on,---never put it on since. the time I did have it on a tree jumped and I couldnt see it coming and it pushed the saw at me, but instinct made me hit kill switch before saw hit. only got a few tooth marks and a whole lot of blood. A saw can cut meat running or not.
I gotta be able to see whats going on around me at all times so I can move if I have to.
I'd say that with your head, you at bare minimum need a hard hat, eye protection, and ear protection. I occasionally skip the mask/screen in some situations if I feel the increase in peripheral vision outweighs the protection of the screen for hazards, but in that case I still have safety glasses on. Most of the time I just use an all-in-one piece of headgear plus safety glasses, including the screen. If I'm bucking on the ground, I could get away with just glasses and muffs at home, but not on the job. If I got caught using a chainsaw without (among other things) a hard hat on the job, I could lose insurance coverage. In all cases, leg and foot protection is a non-negotiable must.

Back