Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never could run a saw with all of that stuff on,---never put it on since. the time I did have it on a tree jumped and I couldnt see it coming and it pushed the saw at me, but instinct made me hit kill switch before saw hit. only got a few tooth marks and a whole lot of blood. A saw can cut meat running or not.
I gotta be able to see whats going on around me at all times so I can move if I have to.
I never was good about wearing my chaps until I got a pair of Cloggers. They are so much more comfortable I actually wear them. Also went out and got a pair of their pants for the all day jobs. The older I get the more I've spent on safety gear.

Sorry hopefully it heals fast and it only takes a second for things to happen sometimes. Chaps are hot this time of year but worth the effort and discomfort over the other kind of discomfort.

yup, chaps. I own three pair. I own and use probably ten or so saws, including a 288xp, 066, on down to small top handle saws. (Now that I think about it, I think I may have a saw “problem”)
The one that bit me? Makita 16” battery saw, cutting fence post flush to the ground. End of day tired, kind of pi&#d off, wearing shorts. Gave the saw absolutely no respect. No tendon or bone damage, but definitely stitches. Makes me think about how most car wrecks are close to home, even in long road trip scenarios. Something about relaxing, when vigilance is still called for.

Attachments

• D6E74BDF-C214-4C11-9F4D-B12EC50ABFDF.jpeg
    D6E74BDF-C214-4C11-9F4D-B12EC50ABFDF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I've heard,, NOT SEEN.. that electric Chainsaws cut right through Chaps..That might not be true IF the electric Saw has a Slip clutch.. BUT the direct drive saws have a lot of torque. So has anyone tested that and EVEN IF they Do cut through chaps maybe that would give someone a chance to loose chaps not be cut.. Any comments? Like I am really thinking I'd have to ask, Smile.. Get well soon guy. sorry about your pain..

I've heard,, NOT SEEN.. that electric Chainsaws cut right through Chaps..That might not be true IF the electric Saw has a Slip clutch.. BUT the direct drive saws have a lot of torque. So has anyone tested that and EVEN IF they Do cut through chaps maybe that would give someone a chance to loose chaps not be cut.. Any comments? Like I am really thinking I'd have to ask, Smile.. Get well soon guy. sorry about your pain..
It's a myth propagated by idiots. Chaps don't work that way. They are full of long fibers that tangle up in the chain and stops it from turning. Horse power and torque have nothing to do with it.

It's a myth propagated by idiots. Chaps don't work that way. They are full of long fibers that tangle up in the chain and stops it from turning. Horse power and torque have nothing to do with it.
That's exactly what I expected.
Thanks for for being the myth buster. I helped put in a high school tech center's forestry program. There were these old heavy green cotton canvas chaps that were not used. We strapped a pair to a log and had a student try to cut through them. Cut through like they were not even there. Those chaps were dumpstered that day. Then we wonder about the new bright orange chaps the kids were wearing. Had a kid take his new chaps off strapped them to the log. Another student volunteered to cut up his classmate's chaps. The torque of the chaps stopping the chain nearly pulled the kid over the log.
Moral of the story - old chaps bad new chaps good newest chaps better

A good friend of mine (also much older) had a run in with his saw about 20 years ago. I remember seeing the pants that he had sewn back together. Surprised he survived. If he had gone much deeper, he would not have. When I started heating with wood again, he GAVE me a pair of chaps. I've since upgraded to a pair of Stihl chaps because the provide more coverage and are easier to get on and off. I gave the other pair to a young man who was doing some disaster cleanup with me. I do get lazy with mine once in a while, especially when I'm bucking logs in the back yard. Thanks for the reminder and get well soon!

The ballistic nylon chaps of the early 1970's worked very well. They had a green canvas covering. They jammed up the chain where it entered the covers and sprocket area and just stopped everything. If you hit the top of your leg, the saw followed it's path until it plugged. Certainly effective. The US Forest Service guy that demoed them for loggers actually had a .22 rifle, .22LR, that he'd fire at his own leg and the bullet just fell on the floor. He said he hated that part of the demonstration and his leg was really black and blue after two weeks of training guys. Great chaps, they got heavy after a while but we were young and tough.......
God bless

Never see chaps worn in uk, everyone gets trousers, there are different classes with full all around coverage or just front coverage

Dude I worked with cutting timber had a kick back cutting a limb early in the morning. I got a call on my way to work asking when I would be there cause he cut himself bad so I went in to emergency mode and raced the rest of the way to see his leg like this and to put quick clot on it .he had to have surgery and had his bone filed down that’s his shin he wore chaps after that.

Attachments

• 2D5A7A03-1298-44BE-96BC-EFF9B916B080.jpeg
    2D5A7A03-1298-44BE-96BC-EFF9B916B080.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
How about these?

Attachments

• D1578247-7165-46C0-93D6-C83DA246AB22.jpeg
    D1578247-7165-46C0-93D6-C83DA246AB22.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back