Wedges and Cold Weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wedges

magnesium wedges work good in frozen wood. A word of caution:Magnesium cannot be x-rayed. A true 5lb. fallers axe with a short handle.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part.....K&H wedges also break super easy. i think they're crap. the madsens' wedges really hold up and I'm 6'0" about 215 and use a 5 lb. axe with a 36" handle. plus, i grind the hell out of'em when they get all mushroomed over. i have a mag wedge, it's a driver, but i only use it as a driver every once in a while when the trees aren't leanin too hard, they really come apart if you drive on 'em too hard with an axe, but they are great for one purpose.....if you happen to misjudge a tree, got'er all faced up and you're putting in your back cut and you get your bar pinched, or it just sets back on you, they or a steel wedge is the only thing that's gonna open that back cut, back open again.

I call be on k&h breaking. I have been running the same 2 for what? 6 months now. Lost one under a root wad so now I have a nice sharp 12"er. Then again. My self appointed nick name is King Swing!

BUMP!

It's pretty cold out now - any more thoughts on this topic? Newer wedge brands or styles?

Would wood wedges work well in winter? (sorry, had to go for the alliteration . . . )

Thanks.

Philbert

Back