Weird or Unusual things in/on saws/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d6e9544770f6832c0c1feb66c6a47fb1.jpg

MS461 lasted four years for a tree service before the locator pin exited out the top end. The gauge in the cylinder wall shut it down.

Farmertec top end kit fixed it. [emoji106]

Got a good one today, Restoring a Homelite Super EZ.When it arrives fuel tank is empty so new fuel line,new fuel cap (tested), new fuel filter and sonic clean/rebuild carb (plus a bunch more but not part of this). Saw starts runs and dies, hmmmm. take carb. apart again and clean again and use a Walbro kit this time instead of the Stens I used the first time, same thing happens. OK maybe a small passage I cannot get to is clogged so I order another used carb. do the standard cleaning and kit in it then put it on the saw. SAME THING:mad:.

While sitting there thinking about it I decide to take the old carb that I had just pulled off and pressure test it, tests fine so I take the metering side cover off and tap the metering valve to watch pressure drop and nothing so I pry up under the metering valve and here comes some nasty black gas. WTF pull fuel cap off and look at filter, closely resembles a lump of coal and the new Tygon fuel line is super soft to the point it wouldn't even hold the filter on the end of it anymore. Take fuel filter out of tank and turn saw upside down and here it comes super black gas from something that had dried in there before so all the sudden I see something in the bottom of the tank. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the case gasket, I will be pressure testing the fuel tank to see if it is part of the case gasket. if so then there's another fun time splitting this thing for a new gasket.
homie3.jpg

Got a good one today, Restoring a Homelite Super EZ.When it arrives fuel tank is empty so new fuel line,new fuel cap (tested), new fuel filter and sonic clean/rebuild carb (plus a bunch more but not part of this). Saw starts runs and dies, hmmmm. take carb. apart again and clean again and use a Walbro kit this time instead of the Stens I used the first time, same thing happens. OK maybe a small passage I cannot get to is clogged so I order another used carb. do the standard cleaning and kit in it then put it on the saw. SAME THING:mad:.

While sitting there thinking about it I decide to take the old carb that I had just pulled off and pressure test it, tests fine so I take the metering side cover off and tap the metering valve to watch pressure drop and nothing so I pry up under the metering valve and here comes some nasty black gas. WTF pull fuel cap off and look at filter, closely resembles a lump of coal and the new Tygon fuel line is super soft to the point it wouldn't even hold the filter on the end of it anymore. Take fuel filter out of tank and turn saw upside down and here it comes super black gas from something that had dried in there before so all the sudden I see something in the bottom of the tank. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the case gasket, I will be pressure testing the fuel tank to see if it is part of the case gasket. if so then there's another fun time splitting this thing for a new gasket.
View attachment 750987
Looks like an area 51 finger bone....
I just got this 5-20 gear drive running, but the inside of the gas tank also looks as clean as an 1890's sewer pipe....
20190701_151712.jpg 20190701_151634.jpg

Those pics are examples of why it isn't always wise to remove spark screens in the muffler. Without the screen, one of those dirt daubers can build a nest right in you cylinder if they want. Picture firing up the saw with the cylinder and muffler full of clay...
No doubt! I will be storing all my non spark screened saws with a piece of foam in the exhaust from now on. I bet a Mudd dobber in the cylinder would lead to instant scoring

This concrete saw had been a victim of a local river flooding this summer, following a torrential rain which hit the region very hard and caused a lot of damage.

2.jpg

A flood victim needs to be stripped down to the bone, and cleaned miticulously as mud particles will affect all crankcase bearings. A lot of work.

left.JPG

Back