Weird or Unusual things in/on saws/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That part seems big to come off the spark plug. Any chances that the piston was replaced and its a remnant from that? Maybe someone missed it on a rebuild?
Madsen's rebuilt and ported that saw at least 15-20 years ago, it was run long and hard until it went kaboom 10 or so years back so I doubt it was left over from a previous rebuild.

I found this in the crankcase of a neighbor's 045 that blew up. I'm not sure what it is or where it came from, but it took chunks out of both transfer port bridges and it pummeled the hell out of the squish band and piston.
View attachment 960206
When a piston gets shelled, some of the bits of piston and rings invariably get shat into the muffler. They fall to the bottom where any goo is, and sometimes get stuck in said goo.
Since an 045 muffler is one piece, it's difficult to verify the presences or absence of debris.
Screenshot_20220128-224047_eBay.jpg

Short of using an endoscope, shaking the muffler to hear if any rings are banging around inside the muffler is best way to tell.
Sometimes they can get loose and enter back into the combustion chamber while rolling around in the back of an empty truck.

I stumbled across this saw at a garage sale in Tulsa. It had been used one time back when it was new in 1965. A veritable time capsule for $40.00 !
For whatever reason, it was ran once, drained of fuel, then sealed back in it's origional box in a guy's attic for the next 50 years. Amazingly, I fueled it up, and it ran like it was brand new. The fuel tank was spotless.. It has it's origional pull rope, and spark plug.
I have the sister of that saw, also used only once (but assembled in Belgium by McCulloch of Belgium) ;)
mac250 recoiler side.JPG

Latest posts

Back