whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other news… one of the guys passed his cdl a test today. Kinda proud of him. Just 18 for a few months or so now. Pretty impressive accomplishment.

So now we have two class A cdl’s and a class B (all clean) in house. Definitely a record for me lol. Time to start rolling heavy now. :yes:
I'm the only CDL driver in my org now. I've had a class A for 40 years as of last month. I'm really sick of doing the driving of the CDL trucks. I put stuff on the job then often have someone take me back to the shop to get my pickup. I'm thinking about selling everything that requires a CDL. Sure hate to get rid of my old international dump truck though.

I'm the only CDL driver in my org now. I've had a class A for 40 years as of last month. I'm really sick of doing the driving of the CDL trucks. I put stuff on the job then often have someone take me back to the shop to get my pickup. I'm thinking about selling everything that requires a CDL. Sure hate to get rid of my old international dump truck though.
It gets better soon it will be required that you have to go to a cdl school to get your license at a cost of over 3 grand. So no more just going to the dmv

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It gets better soon it will be required that you have to go to a cdl school to get your license at a cost of over 3 grand. So no more just going to the dmv

Well...IDK. The school deal might not be all that bad an idea. I had a guy from a lumber company ask me last year if I had time to show this old chick he hired how to drive, really how to shift, a truck. I was so curious I stopped in there for a minute. I went out there and there was this full blown dyke with her mask on...and damn she needed a mask...waiting on me. You could tell she resented my very existence. I ask her what she was having problems with and she said "Not a ******* thing...I don't know why they sent you". She agreed to to try to drive around the block and she couldn't shift the truck...she couldn't really even get it moving. It was just a plain straight seven speed spicer. No split no high/low nothing. I ask her did she have a CDL and she went about half berserk but she produced it and yes she had a class A CDL. Turned out she took her test in an automatic and that was all she had ever driven.

I heard things are changing in february or something like that. Even in the schools it's gonna be worse, if I remember correctly. This kid's A cost me a small fortune, but at least it's done. Yeah, I know, don't even say it! lol. Hopefully he sticks around a good while. Feels good at least trying to be a decent employer anyway. I even paid him for most of his class days. I guess all you can do is try and do the right things and hope for the best.

Well...IDK. The school deal might not be all that bad an idea. I had a guy from a lumber company ask me last year if I had time to show this old chick he hired how to drive, really how to shift, a truck. I was so curious I stopped in there for a minute. I went out there and there was this full blown dyke with her mask on...and damn she needed a mask...waiting on me. You could tell she resented my very existence. I ask her what she was having problems with and she said "Not a ******* thing...I don't know why they sent you". She agreed to to try to drive around the block and she couldn't shift the truck...she couldn't really even get it moving. It was just a plain straight seven speed spicer. No split no high/low nothing. I ask her did she have a CDL and she went about half berserk but she produced it and yes she had a class A CDL. Turned out she took her test in an automatic and that was all she had ever driven.

Lol. I'm pretty sure most of the cdl stuff is federal, so if you test in an auto that's all you can drive legally.

Lol. I'm pretty sure most of the cdl stuff is federal, so if you test in an auto that's all you can drive legally.
Yes, but only pretty recently...

"In 2011, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration called for a restriction on CDL licenses for drivers using a Commercial Vehicle for a CDL road test when equipped with an automatic transmission. The state of Minnesota adapted that change as of May 4th, 2015. Now when a driver takes a CDL road test in a Commercial Vehicle that has an automatic transmission, the driver is restricted when driving commercial vehciles to only those CMVs with an automatic transmission".

It changed in Texas October 1st 2016. Anybody before that grandfathered in. Old thing said she had a CDL for 10 years so yeah, she was licensed to drive a truck she couldn't operate.

I heard things are changing in february or something like that. Even in the schools it's gonna be worse, if I remember correctly. This kid's A cost me a small fortune, but at least it's done. Yeah, I know, don't even say it! lol. Hopefully he sticks around a good while. Feels good at least trying to be a decent employer anyway. I even paid him for most of his class days. I guess all you can do is try and do the right things and hope for the best.
Well, there is a shortage of truck drivers, don't be suprised if he lands a higher paying gig driving. Out here the hiring bonus is crazy high.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!

Well, there is a shortage of truck drivers, don't be suprised if he lands a higher paying gig driving. Out here the hiring bonus is crazy high.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!

Lol. Isn’t it nice how we can all count on each other for positive reinforcement!:yes:

This kid wants to do tree work. He’s pretty into it. Hopefully I’ll get a little while out of him anyway.

I think what this whole thing comes down to is fighting the near impossibility of finding people capable of becoming good tree men. The never ending search.

The thing about this work is it’s not for morons, but for whatever reason it seems to attract them. Probably the relatively low bar set for entry level people.

The reality is that it’s not at all a job for dumb-dumbs. It’s a highly skilled and dangerous job that demands a certain rare breed of person. Someone that has the now ultra rare “common sense” and understands the concept of words like “gingerly” and “finesse”. And at the same time is a quick thinking, attentive problem solver that actually has an old school work ethic. Hahaha…. Good luck, right!!

I think that’s why we struggle as much as we do (at least speaking for myself).

I think I finally have a clear road to resolving the help issues now. Is really just one of the last hurdles (that and parking, as Trivet mentioned, lol. I do have a ton of unused space out back though, so pretty sure that’ll come into play).

I’ve loved building this business up over the years. Was never any rush for me. I was always happy just to be making progress. I enjoy the journey. I know I’m just gonna be dead at the end of it anyway, so what’s the rush, right?

I think what this whole thing comes down to is fighting the near impossibility of finding people capable of becoming good tree men. The never ending search.

The thing about this work is it’s not for morons, but for whatever reason it seems to attract them. Probably the relatively low bar set for entry level people.

The reality is that it’s not at all a job for dumb-dumbs. It’s a highly skilled and dangerous job that demands a certain rare breed of person. Someone that has the now ultra rare “common sense” and understands the concept of words like “gingerly” and “finesse”. And at the same time is a quick thinking, attentive problem solver that actually has an old school work ethic. Hahaha…. Good luck, right!!

I think that’s why we struggle as much as we do (at least speaking for myself).
Christmas bonuses help them stay on the job ;)

Back