whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More playing in the snow. Ground was nice and hard today. Warm temps but we were in the shade mostly so the snow held out. We were packing up and almost ready to finally get out of this place (after seven days), when the lady pointed out another tree she wanted removed. That and she’s got some lovely little pruning projects for the MDS. Looks like it gonna be a couple more days.
5B739BF1-9484-4695-AFA0-C7DB3BFAFC7B.jpeg
60C90743-9631-4B2F-96BB-EE9EF30577D2.jpeg

We have an opening available for a climber apprentice if you know anyone who likes to live out in the sticks!

Tree Climber Apprentice 15-20 per hour
Our company focuses on large and difficult tree removals, pruning, and tree preservation. Prior tree climbing experience is a plus but not required. Candidate must be a competent, hard working individual, willing to learn the "ropes" of arboriculture. Position will start on the ground feeding the chipper, running equipment and saws, and will work toward learning the more difficult aspects of safely climbing a tree according to ANSI Z133 standards under the supervision of ISA certified arborists. Position is full time but subject to weather related disruptions. Compensation is on the books and includes 401k after 3 month probation period. We are also currently working towards medical benefits. We are a drug and alcohol free work environment. Applicant must be able to pass a drug test, have a valid driver's license, and have reliable transportation to Wellsboro M-F at 8am. We also work often in Corning but commute from Wellsboro/Mansfield. Please include a little about yourself including a resume with relevant work experience and references. Email [email protected]

Worked among titans the last two days.

Biggest ones are 15-18' diameter.

Attachments

• 20220118_122416.jpg
    20220118_122416.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220118_122432.jpg
    20220118_122432.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220118_122505.jpg
    20220118_122505.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220118_122539.jpg
    20220118_122539.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220118_122601.jpg
    20220118_122601.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220118_122657.jpg
    20220118_122657.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220118_122703.jpg
    20220118_122703.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220118_122715.jpg
    20220118_122715.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220118_122738.jpg
    20220118_122738.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 17
We cleaned up storm/snow damage and brushed out the surrounding area, including large amounts of huckleberry that was a few years away from getting out of control.

This is a private grove of ancient growth redwood and old growth Doug fir with a few Yews and Chinquapins scattered about, as well as pepper wood and tan oak. We clean it up every year or two for the land holders, or when there is significant branch fall.

Didn't snap any photos of the burns, just the giants today.

Yesterday I let my guard down and found myself making the mistake of working for some more of the nut jobs that have moved here from California. This time I have learned my lesson for good. This one cost us pretty good as I told the crew after half a day to just clean up the yard, load the equipment and let's get the f&%k out of here. Crazy ass lady called me after we left and started in about us hauling off a few chunks of mulberry she wanted for firewood. Claimed we stole her firewood. She got $1,500 worth of work done for free...I stated to go back over there and dump that damned old mulberry tree right in her driveway.

Yesterday I let my guard down and found myself making the mistake of working for some more of the nut jobs that have moved here from California. This time I have learned my lesson for good. This one cost us pretty good as I told the crew after half a day to just clean up the yard, load the equipment and let's get the f&%k out of here. Crazy ass lady called me after we left and started in about us hauling off a few chunks of mulberry she wanted for firewood. Claimed we stole her firewood. She got $1,500 worth of work done for free...I stated to go back over there and dump that damned old mulberry tree right in her driveway.

Don’t you love those clients….

Did a day out at the Chook
Farm (actually a free range egg farm) last week, they use the mulch for a giant compost heap for their regular hen culls. As can imagine, with thousands of dead chooks in it, the compost pile is very ‘aromatic’ in the summer sun, scattering a front end loader bucket of that goodness down the driveway of such clients would be quite satisfying.

Out of interest, what did she do to trigger pulling the pin?

We all have those ‘red flag’ clients, used to take it as personal challenge to try & tolerate them, but getting less patient, curious what triggers other operators.

We all have the best office in the world!!! Have been clearing acres of bush for a business for the last month now. Has been -35 C to -45C the last few weeks and the snow is getting deeper. Our comfort zones are a prison....this is true freedom. Praise God for the work we do!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
Out of interest, what did she do to trigger pulling the pin?

We all have those ‘red flag’ clients, used to take it as personal challenge to try & tolerate them, but getting less patient, curious what triggers other operators.
What finally got me was when she started quoting things I never said and mentioned how much money I would owe them for doing the job. I have been doing this for a long, long time. You can just tell when to cut your losses and run. Most all of them that moved to Texas from California are ****ing nut jobs. I knew better.

If a storm hits or you have an emergency job...both of which pays top dollah...you won't be a playa in those jobs. All the cranes will be out already and around here..all cranes are out now anyway. You miss out on so much without a crane. But there just are SO many jobs you simply cannot do without a crane day to day and a zillion more that are so much easier with one. If you don't have one it is likely why many quit this profession. You miss out on the easy high paying stuff and grind out with the ropes and GRCS if you can even do them at all :-(.
That is so well said. Yet. the land in between is sort of a no-man's land and few will go there. I need to read that over again and sleep on it.

Latest posts

Back