whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What finally got me was when she started quoting things I never said and mentioned how much money I would owe them for doing the job. I have been doing this for a long, long time. You can just tell when to cut your losses and run. Most all of them that moved to Texas from California are ****ing nut jobs. I knew better.
Why would you owe them money?? Sorry for the rough experience. Not ALL Californians are so bad!

That gives me a flashback to last year where a customer blew all the snow off his backyard prior to us coming in attempt to help us (never underestimate the boredom of a tree service customer). Only thing was we wanted the snow to run the machines over, and it ended up warming to like 40 and sunny on the second day so his lawn started to show the pain by the time we were finished. He knew it was his fault at least.

That gives me a flashback to last year where a customer blew all the snow off his backyard prior to us coming in attempt to help us (never underestimate the boredom of a tree service customer). Only thing was we wanted the snow to run the machines over, and it ended up warming to like 40 and sunny on the second day so his lawn started to show the pain by the time we were finished. He knew it was his fault at least.
haha yeah,. it got a bit muddy under the chipper today in 20 degree weather!

Heat wave next week. Looks like we'll hit 35!

Picked up a second 500i today, fitted new anvil on the 1390. Delays in work clothing amongst other things, waiting on new uniforms, last run starting to get a bit tattered amongst crew.

Big felling job tomorrow of a row of planted E. grandis (rose gum), 40-45m, up to 1.2m DBH. Logs are going for timber & firewood, have negotiated to sell all the mulch from job which should go close to equalling rate being paid for the commercial falling. Mulching crew going to have work cut out though keeping up with falling crew. Haven’t decided which tree to break in the 500 on, but is some good ones.

Picked up a second 500i today, fitted new anvil on the 1390. Delays in work clothing amongst other things, waiting on new uniforms, last run starting to get a bit tattered amongst crew.

Big felling job tomorrow of a row of planted E. grandis (rose gum), 40-45m, up to 1.2m DBH. Logs are going for timber & firewood, have negotiated to sell all the mulch from job which should go close to equalling rate being paid for the commercial falling. Mulching crew going to have work cut out though keeping up with falling crew. Haven’t decided which tree to break in the 500 on, but is some good ones.

I didn't know eucs could be used for timber as I assumed the wood was so hard and twisted. Legend has it that they were brought to the western US to eventually harvest for railroad ties unsuccessfully. That's impressive that the mulch is bringing in as much as the labor.

Congrats on 2 500s! How long did it take for it to come in? I've been waiting a couple months for my dealer to get one.

That 500i is a sweet looking saw. Was looking at one at the saw shop last week. Damn was pricey though (I forget exactly)… almost made me want it lol. Maybe this year after the tundra thaws.

I didn't know eucs could be used for timber as I assumed the wood was so hard and twisted. Legend has it that they were brought to the western US to eventually harvest for railroad ties unsuccessfully. That's impressive that the mulch is bringing in as much as the labor.

Congrats on 2 500s! How long did it take for it to come in? I've been waiting a couple months for my dealer to get one.
Yep, hundreds of species of eucs with magnificent timber for various applications, railroad sleepers being one of them…. (mostly replaced with concrete now), the old timber sleepers from rail lines are sought after for re-use.

These are big, soft high rainfall eucs (E. grandis), straight open grain, not durable, but using for panelling, face timbers etc, fast growing, 40m + in thirty years, one near 1.4m DBH.

Put about twelve tanks through the new 500 on it’s first day, roughly one per tree to fell, limb & buck into 5.5m logs. Performed as they do, light & nimble, easy on the body. Still find them too light at times, when your really pushing the saw, but for 10-12hrs going flat out they are great.

Plenty on the shelf at my local dealer now, went in still tossing up over another 462, the new 400 or the sensible, accountant like choice, the 500.

got some small spars to chunk out tomorrow, rotted out and the tops have snapped off at about 40ft

so. much. silver. maple
never noticed it till I started doing tree work, but around here, every job ive done in the last maybe 2 months has been silver maple, and its always big stuff with nasty bark

a few pictures I havent posted here yet

1643681743590.png 1643681848978.png

1643681875089.png1643681880138.png1643681938345.png

getting into the tree world is still the best decision I ever made, even with the nasty trees that make you wanna quit

Attachments

• 1643681677619.png
    1643681677619.png
    652.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1643681682149.png
    1643681682149.png
    596.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1643681794938.png
    1643681794938.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
got a ropewrench, so far im loving SRT, I havent gone MRS since, being able to set a tie in w/o isolating a crotch, and being able to set a re-direct with nothing but your rope is a game changer
yes, I said nothing but your rope, mid line, and retrievable

That 500i is a sweet looking saw. Was looking at one at the saw shop last week. Damn was pricey though (I forget exactly)… almost made me want it lol. Maybe this year after the tundra thaws.

Just wrapped up four day job where absolutely punished the 500i. Two 500's did bulk of the work, drove the new one hard for near on 40 hours, brutal heat, dust, incessant wind blowing against us, mostly full bar cutting, lot of upside down cutting, saw constantly at risk of being crushed bucking big timber, probably put over 1000 tonnes of timber down. Had constant risk of fire with exhaust igniting bark frequently.

Really the 500's did everything asked of them & some more. I still find the 500's feel light & flimsy in hand compare to 462 & 661, but for long days of big wood work, they are a real working racehorse.

Going to take it back into shop tomorrow, get it plugged in & see how well it's been treated for it's first job.

Latest posts

Back