whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a cable up in the split pine, thank god. Still a death trap, but I couldn’t figure out how else it could still be standing otherwise.
One of our high profile clients, actually very high profile...I won't mention their name here, asked us to cable a large pine we had strongly recommend for removal a year prior. His wife called and said "We want to save that tree...and it appears you have no interest in doing that. We aren't going to absolutely quit you after 25 years of working for the family, but we are going to find someone else to do what we want since you won't." That was November 2017. They got a company in Dallas to cable the thing. I heard it cost over $10,000 for all the cable work. This tree was not a candidate to cable. Xmas day that same year the large old 95ft failing co-dominate leader pine came down in a 50mph wind. No one was injured but it did over $170,000 in damage to the house.

to somewhat quote August Hunickie "if the customer was always right they would be the professional and I would be the customer"

gotta remember, the customer will always think their way is best, even with 15 professionals telling them the tree is actively falling towards their house

One of our high profile clients, actually very high profile...I won't mention their name here, asked us to cable a large pine we had strongly recommend for removal a year prior. His wife called and said "We want to save that tree...and it appears you have no interest in doing that. We aren't going to absolutely quit you after 25 years of working for the family, but we are going to find someone else to do what we want since you won't." That was November 2017. They got a company in Dallas to cable the thing. I heard it cost over $10,000 for all the cable work. This tree was not a candidate to cable. Xmas day that same year the large old 95ft failing co-dominate leader pine came down in a 50mph wind. No one was injured but it did over $170,000 in damage to the house.

Did you get the clean up job?

Kicking ass as usual (even thought my morning got screwed up, so another late start).
View attachment 945275View attachment 945276View attachment 945277View attachment 945278

The new Dica pads for the lift came in and the finance guy called to, so everything should be wrapped up next week if not this week. Kinda looking forward to it.
View attachment 945279View attachment 945280

How come the disc for this job? What sort of time to get the co-dominant pine down to ground level with the spider?

Is that a Stihl polesaw in the basket with you?

Anyone heard much about the new Stihl battery top handle to compete with the Husky T540i?

Heard it will be available next year in Australia, so assuming the development is well advanced.

I was bucking a limb with a somewhat dull 3 ft bar while an employee was running the mini on the opposite side. I was paying attention to him and rapidly running through small cuts along side the trunk. Was not being careful. Good lesson to learn. Only cost me a pair of 200 dollar chainsaw pants and not a trip to the hospital.
Jeez - with the femoral artery just about there, it wouldn't have been a trip to the hospital. Unless they've got a morgue attached... Lucky man. Maybe I'll start wearing those protective leggings I got 30 years ago. Have to remember where they are though!

How come the disc for this job? What sort of time to get the co-dominant pine down to ground level with the spider?

I’m not sure. We had an entire day setting up, going to the lumberyard for more plywood, setting up, etc. got really what only amounts to a day and a half cutting to get this far. That co-dom looks a little bigger in the pics lowering it. I’m not even gonna talk about the 35 - 40’ top if took out of the right side of the tree on right. Went perfect, but yeah,… back on schedule anyway!! Lol.FCAF23B1-60B3-4FD6-866B-D6C3AE172B55.jpeg74F177DA-29C7-414D-A2DD-FC0E963E364D.jpeg7BC6C921-D70F-4E06-8526-F53EE687801D.jpeg46EB3313-6858-4C4F-A326-BA8E300BD2FA.jpeg981A93C7-FAFF-4EEE-A53A-86FE7B0DF8CC.jpeg

Took down this stone dead beech tree this morning. Half of it all ready broke off and was hung up in another beech. Got that taken care of and then set two guide ropes in the remaining standing portion. I dropped it towards the lean and guide ropes held it perfectly straight while still attached to the stump. We slowly lowered it down some and then grabbed it with the mini. No room to drop the tree with all these hemlocks around and not enough structural integrity to rope pieces down safely. Pretty simple rigging, but you never know how smooth it will go.577C4024-CB65-46BF-861A-240238D02C58.jpeg

Here’s my new to me 250xp, chips great. Gonna send it through the shop and then it will be for sale.
DC0CBE07-1A53-4E54-B0BD-EE3A0AEC9DC8.jpeg

Sorry, missed part of this question. The disk is 4500 - 5000lbs lighter than my drum, so the disk is my go to for the real tight access/sensitive landscape backyard jobs. It’s a pleasure to move around with the hitch on the front of my giant. That chipper is around 6800lbs and the giant is roughly 11k. My drum being 11,350lbs (dry), moves well with that machine, but not nearly as maneuverable. Besides, the 250 feeds at 120 feet per minute, and the 19 feeds 100 fpm, so seemed a good choice for the brush, as most of it is under 12”. Amazing how much better a sharp disk packs the truck too!!!

Pruned 13 oaks and some other miscellaneous pruning and removals at the hospital. Was a very nice high visibility type job.

Took us 2 days. Mostly bucket work with some climbing. Was nice working 1 mile from home. I've had this on the docket for the past 6 months so it felt good to finally get it done.

20211202_160719.jpg20211203_104753.jpg

Speaking of jobs that are nice to get off the list. Lol. Working on hauling wood out and stacking it in the driveway beside the log truck now. Thankfully that part is going quickly. Got almost all the big wood out already. Unfortunately now the dump is closed for the weekend, but whatever.

Should be just final cleanup and getting the plyboard out today, but now they added the big ass Locust Bartlett wanted the 400 tonner for lol. ****ing *****’s.

Don’t think I’m starting that project today though, been a week of it. Probably should though, as now they’re saying a wind storm and showers Monday. No rest for the MDS.
973343CB-775E-42A4-9A2A-B2D0794D86ED.jpeg3494987E-C143-4E00-AA90-7EEF5E55AB38.jpeg4EC86787-3ACB-480A-B5C3-5CF4EA05D378.jpeg

Oh and how much was Bartlett going to charge? I remember you mentioning it somewhere earlier in the thread.

I think it was 10k. I wasn’t required to give a price. Was kind of left at “we’ll see how it goes” (said to me). I was looking at it again today. That 10k figure might not be that far off.

We had their driveway looking like a logging operation. This was early on. Just one more part to mostly full load and the wood and the pine part of the job will be done.
B4708FFF-9AA9-4107-876A-955B5AAF21F2.jpeg87FCA67A-DE87-4CF0-BE55-79205D49EE7C.jpeg

D
I think it was 10k. I wasn’t required to give a price. Was kind of left at “we’ll see how it goes” (said to me). I was looking at it again today. That 10k figure might not be that far off.

We had their driveway looking like a logging operation. This was early on. Just one more part to mostly full load and the wood and the pine part of the job will be done.
View attachment 946290View attachment 946291
Damn, around here you could get some good money for those white pine logs. I’d say an easy grand or more.

Latest posts

Back