What’s the secret to keep poulan pp4218aux running ❓

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

560Dennis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m using this poulan pp4218aux to cut some Kansas willow. Only used it twice briefly . I set it down for a break to move the cutting out of the work area after no more than ten minutes of running . It stalls . I can’t get to restart. I gave up ,not going get a heart attack over a chainsaw.
please give me a list of things to try.

Hello Dennis, here are a couple of things to try when the saw is warm and does not want to re-start.
1. You may want to try pulling the choke out then push it back in, this sets the fast idle & usually works for me.
2. You may want to check your spark plug. I have had some success with increasing the plug gap maybe .002" to .005".
3. You can also try pushing the primer bulb 5 times or such to get cooler fuel in the carb before trying to restart the saw.

i did see the manual say to change spark plug yearly. Don’t know if this has been ever changed ,not manhours on it.

book calls for rcj-7y champions

what plug do you all use , I never had issues with champions ,but have liked the ngk

so set gap to about .027 to .03 of an inch ?

I would suggest to clean up your plug electrodes with a wire brush or a piece of sandpaper.. be sure to get in between the sparky bits.
A car guy I know set his plug gap at .050 no hot start problems after that. I use champion plugs in most of my saws, ngk is a great brand too though

Back ground , saw history , the saw was new three years ago. Cut some branches at fort knox , has not run till a few weeks ago . I assume it was stored with gas ,not sure .
Book ,I read said not to use alcohol fuel ⛽️ not sure .

I have the same saw, assuming you meant AVX not U, but probably the same thing. got it on craigslist for so little I felt guilty about it later. looks like it was hardly used, has been my most reliable saw up until a few weeks ago and it suddenly stopped starting. Thru out hte air filter, grabbed a new box of em, and realized I'd ordered the wrong ones a while back and now i haven't been able to try again. My point is it has been a surprisingly good saw considering what it costs and how hard I've pushed it. maybe 3-5 cord of hardwood thru it, nothing more than two air filters. that said, the airfilter on this thing does like to work iteslf loose, and let crud past, so my guess is if it wasn't just the dirty filter, that its that some dust made it into the carb. its on the table slated for a clean out when i get a chance. My only real complaint about this thing is that the anti vibe is super soft, so it is crazy easy to go sideways in a cut because the saw is walking around when you lean on it. basically can't use the dogs on this thing but just rely on the weight to get the cut done.

if yours was stored with gas in it, personally I'd just pull the carb apart, clean it and put it back together with the old gaskets if they don't crumble, replace the air filter and give it a go.

Need to clean the carb & put a kit in it, & possibly replace the fuel lines & filter. Dump the old gas & use fresh mix

I have to add now this now , after running it hot as soon as I release the throttle. The engine stalls every time. I think it not a idle screw issue ,but a mechanism issue letting it close the throttle butterfly. Maybe the screw needs turned in if it has one.

The mixture is wrong due to the carb being gummed up &/or the diaphragms being stiff from sitting with old fuel. Failure to service the carb & then properly tune the saw could result in ruining the piston &/or cylinder

I think This is a problem the throttle cam lever is busted . Plastic piece split, might not let the throttle hold position .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
I don’t see a kit offered for Zama w26b , I guess I need to replace carburetor , hate to clean carburetor and put old diaphragm back in it .plus I got that broken cam throttle lever.
I also noticed release of throttle trigger fast. The saw stalls , but if I release the throttle slow ,it will stay idling.

Back