What a Find!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Galer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got back from a dive in the local dealer's junk pile. I was looking for a saw part, when I stumbled on a T-20 Shindaiwa timmer, one of the good ones with the old TK slide valve carburetor.

The tag said, "Won't start".

I pulled the rope, and it had all kinds of compression, tank smelled rotten, and the primer bulb in the fuel line was hard as a rock. No spark. The hour meter that is built into a TK carburetor said "less than 50 hrs". (You unscrew the throttle cable/slide and examine the needle on the end of the slide. It wears into a step in the taper with lots of hours and means the machine needs a new needle and jet in the carburetor-as a set. No wear, few hours).

This being one of the finest models in the buisness, I had to see what the dealer wanted for it. $20! Oh, My God! I grabbed it.

Got it home and found: Fouled plug (someone had set the carburetor slow air adjustment like it was a chainsaw, namely screwed it in to one turn, so the engine ran filthy rich). They had tried to work on the carb, and mis-installed the inlet diaphram, wrinkled, leaving a big air leak. It needs a new air filter assembly and high tension lead boot. The inlet check valve ( a loose brass bead that is supposed to rattle) was varnished stuck, so the machine would not prime.

The dead ignition was because the trigger module mounting, which is the ground connection, had corroded. (The usual problem, and you can not see this). I removed and cleanned up, and presto, fantastic spark. The fuel lines and primer came back after a de-varnish cleanning and should be fine.

Looks like it may have even less hours than I thought. Just left out in the weather. With a new top cover, it will look like new. I think I might even spend the money for the brand new cover.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a dealer with a junk pile? The local Husky place tosses everything they get on trade, working or not, and the Stihl dealer would problably use deadly force to keep people away from their stash.

junk pile

My boss is afraid a junk pile would make the place look,,,,junky. So we decide if a unit can be repaired cheap enough to make a profitable resale. If not, we destroy and chuck it.

I wish we had a junk pile to go to. Other shops I've worked for usually kept a small inventory of junkers for good used parts, which we'd sell to the customer for half the price of new. Made everyone happy. But it seems with manufacture pressure to make shops look more professional (term used loosely), having a junk pile around no longer fits the image. Too bad.

Junk piles

I've even traded some of my junk for some of his (my dealers) junk. The smart dealer knows that when he sells you junk you'll usually be at the parts counter for the next few days buying the stuff to bring it back to life.

Howdy Huskyman,

Yep, I have the Homelite all fixed up better than new. New cylinder and ring, and the flex shaft and tube tossed, replaced with a straight shaft off of a scrap Stihl and with an Echo gearbox. It has all kinds of power, now that the engine is right, and the flex shaft done away with. I have it stored away, without fuel and for longterm storage. I also have a perfectly good Echo trimmer hanging up. I guess I should sell some of this stuff, and just keep the T-20!

G'day John in MA,

I know what you mean, I would love my dealer to have a junk heap for me for rummage through. Mind you then I would be single as well as broke I suspect!!
Cheers
Charlie.

me to walt. i got 5 saws now and instead of selling any of them ,i bought another one today.i dont have near the knowlege
of you an some of these small engine magicians on the forum. but i know enough to spot one that just needs a little maintenance and TLC.the key for me is that the saw or what ever has got to be worth as much or more than what i have in it,when i finally get it right.yep i got it bad!!!
then instead of buying something ,ive made an investment.
later now

You guys are lucky, the guy I work for doesn't junk a thing, no freebees here. I have to rely on word of mouth to get a hold of an
old saw or engine off of customers.:angry:

Latest posts

Back