What actually is a good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I use my saws for farming jobs. A bit of wood cutting for home and general fencing work. In my younger days I was a contract fencer.
Back then....30 years or so ago I used a 028 Super Stihl until one day a landowner I was working for used it and rightly or wrongly had to own it. That Stihl was an absolute honey. My next saw was a Dolmar 115i. That was brought between 28 - 30 years ago. My girl is 27 years old and I've had the saw longer than that.
1000000144.jpg
This might sound like ******** but the Dolmar has never been inside a chainsaw shop since. It's never been tuned or serviced other than airfilter changes and cleaning by me.
It's starts first or second pull cold and religiously first pull when hot.
Enter my 562XP. It does the same work as the Dolmar but.....
I had to change the deflection limiter recently as it had nearly worn completely away. There were no parts in N.Z. so they were ordered from Australia. A small job to replace but it had me wondering because to my mind the saw has only seen light work.
1000000143.jpg
1000000142.jpg
The 562 is a good saw when it's going. It can be fickle to start cold and restarting it hot could turn a sober man into a drunk.
In my opinion we haven't advanced as far as the advertising would have us believe. I know what saw I would buy again given the chance.
Ross

Many of us like the vintage saws for their simplicity and durability, I often run my old saws made back in the 1950`s and they have not ever seen a repair shop, just regular maintainence by me. I doubt any computer controlled saw will still be running in 50 years time without the electrical components being changed out several times.

I think everyone’s going to see what makes a good saw differently.

If you were to ask my buddy Roy his Jonsered CS2159 is the best saw ever built, and he has never had to do anything to it. But I listen to him cut with that saw, and to my ear that saw is struggling and running like crap, but he won’t let me touch it. I did finally get him to let me blow out the air filter, which he didn’t want for fear it wouldn’t run as good after.

From an automotive POV, modern cars are in every way better and in many ways easier to repair. FI is standard on most motorcycles now as well as a bunch of ATVs/SxSs/dirtbikes. The tech for saws seems to be coming along. I don’t own a 500i or a Mtronic saw currently but not because I am dubious of the electronics.

Things evolve. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That doesn’t mean older equipment is bad. It’s awesome to use and enjoy.

The old 424 is still a great tractor and I use it but the Kubota is better.

43B34790-0D1D-4FD9-AD2F-7779EF238090.jpeg1F5F5D81-A9FF-499F-B0A2-9EC1155E8C75.jpeg

The new machines with electronic controls are better in many ways over the older manual control machines. Fuel injection works great until a sensor goes south and they all do at some point. I had a 1979 GMC3/4 ton 4X4 that never seen a mechanic in the 34 years I owned it, alternator and starter I changed out myself, very easy R&R items, same carbed dual exhaust 350 that had plenty of room all around it for any maintenance required. My newer Tundra gets better gas mileage but the sensors that keep it working like oxygen sensors, air valve that keeps a vacuum on the evap items have already failed on my new truck, the exhaust system will set one back a couple of thousand with its 4 catalytic converters, two on each side, I have one head pipe with an exhaust leak already. The new stuff may be better in many ways but its simplicity has slipped down a very deep hole, just be prepared for very expensive repairs if the vehicle is over 5 years old.

I use my saws for farming jobs. A bit of wood cutting for home and general fencing work. In my younger days I was a contract fencer.
Back then....30 years or so ago I used a 028 Super Stihl until one day a landowner I was working for used it and rightly or wrongly had to own it. That Stihl was an absolute honey. My next saw was a Dolmar 115i. That was brought between 28 - 30 years ago. My girl is 27 years old and I've had the saw longer than that.
View attachment 1033184
This might sound like ******** but the Dolmar has never been inside a chainsaw shop since. It's never been tuned or serviced other than airfilter changes and cleaning by me.
It's starts first or second pull cold and religiously first pull when hot.
Enter my 562XP. It does the same work as the Dolmar but.....
I had to change the deflection limiter recently as it had nearly worn completely away. There were no parts in N.Z. so they were ordered from Australia. A small job to replace but it had me wondering because to my mind the saw has only seen light work.
View attachment 1033188
View attachment 1033189
The 562 is a good saw when it's going. It can be fickle to start cold and restarting it hot could turn a sober man into a drunk.
In my opinion we haven't advanced as far as the advertising would have us believe. I know what saw I would buy again given the chance.
Ross
You don’t have the updated top cover. It helps with hot starts. You Can drill a hole in it to help it. Also I found if you push the primer 3 times it also helps. The dealer told me to put it on fast idle to restart. Pain in the ass but it helps 4C371E4C-1296-4A4F-B294-F9E733699CD5.png

The new machines with electronic controls are better in many ways over the older manual control machines. Fuel injection works great until a sensor goes south and they all do at some point. I had a 1979 GMC3/4 ton 4X4 that never seen a mechanic in the 34 years I owned it, alternator and starter I changed out myself, very easy R&R items, same carbed dual exhaust 350 that had plenty of room all around it for any maintenance required. My newer Tundra gets better gas mileage but the sensors that keep it working like oxygen sensors, air valve that keeps a vacuum on the evap items have already failed on my new truck, the exhaust system will set one back a couple of thousand with its 4 catalytic converters, two on each side, I have one head pipe with an exhaust leak already. The new stuff may be better in many ways but its simplicity has slipped down a very deep hole, just be prepared for very expensive repairs if the vehicle is over 5 years old.
This^^ when it comes to any equipment in my mind older is better when it come to ease of use a simplicity. For instance a lot of the saws I have are manual oilers not much to go wrong with that system. The biggest issue with modern equipment/vehicles is when it’s no longer made they are fast to obsolete it and stop making parts for it.

Good to hear about that old Dolmar.
I have an old 288xp that has never let me down.
I like the old ones. My Grandad's little Echo from the early 80's fires up easiest of any saw I've seen.

The IDEA of fuel injection and auto-adjusting carbs is great, when they work.
I have never had one. I will probably get a fuel injected saw when they make one a little smaller than the 500i.

Good to hear about that old Dolmar.
I have an old 288xp that has never let me down.
I like the old ones. My Grandad's little Echo from the early 80's fires up easiest of any saw I've seen.

The IDEA of fuel injection and auto-adjusting carbs is great, when they work.
I have never had one. I will probably get a fuel injected saw when they make one a little smaller than the 500i.
They work fine, been around since 2012. They arnt even hard to work on. It's a carb with a solenoid on its side.

Perspective is everything. New stuff is complex to be sure. Much of this was not voluntary on the manufacturers behalf. EPA, IIHS, and NHTSA have all played major roles in the advancement of vehicles. Fuel injectors will usually last the life of the vehicle. The same couldn't be said for carburetors. Remember points? Having an extra set in your glove box was pretty well mandatory. 100k miles used to be a real milestone for a vehicle. Most stuff was rusted out by 50k around here.

This is a good saw. It cuts wood same as all good saws
20230130_214943.jpg

A correctly running saw with a sharp chain is a "good saw". A small saw for small wood and a big saw for big wood follow the first sentence. For instance, a 25cc tophandle saw running a 14" bar isn't the best at falling old growth and a 120cc + sizw saw with 60" or 72" make limbing a bit tough.

Back