What are some signs of a bad company to work for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannabeFireFaller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
And how do I make the best of my time here lol?

Been with a tree service for almost 4 months now and it seems like the training/teaching opportunities here are limited (its a Davey owned company so you'd think that wouldn't be the case). They struggle to keep and find employees and there's not a ton of long term experience here in the way of climbing. I've been able to get into more trees lately (partly because they're short staffed and need climbers) and have been able to learn and improve through direct experience but I can definitely tell by now that this isn't the best company to be with. I plan on sticking it out for a little while, at least a year, but am really teetering on the edge of looking somewhere else. Though good companies and managers are probably rare and I could just end up in the same position anyway.

I guess I just want to learn to climb well as quickly as possible so I have a skill set I can use for better jobs or to find my own jobs in the future. This may just be a stick with a ****** company for a while thing.

Drag the brush. Become more and more useful from there as time passes. If you’re smart, you will take that and make something out of yourself in this business.

It’s not that hard, one just has to be respectful and listen/learn from those that have been around a bit.

I did over five years ripping it up for a few other companies before settling out on my own (I could’ve stayed longer and learned more, ideally.

Drag the brush. Become more and more useful from there as time passes. If you’re smart, you will take that and make something out of yourself in this business.

It’s not that hard, one just has to be respectful and listen/learn from those that have been around a bit.

I did over five years ripping it up for a few other companies before settling out on my own (I could’ve stayed longer and learned more, ideally.
Yeah, I guess it's that simple lol, just keep on doing what I'm doing and get better at it.

If they don't have a good experienced climber you can learn from, you're wasting your time there. The only thing you will learn is bad habits and what not to do.

Lot of truth in that. You definitely want a good climber to show you the ropes. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

And if you can work with people who aren't perpetually miserable, that a huge plus. One climber who works with us on some jobs is, but he's so freakin' skilled it almost makes up for him being an insufferable prick once he puts his spurs on.

Lot of truth in that. You definitely want a good climber to show you the ropes. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

And if you can work with people who aren't perpetually miserable, that a huge plus. One climber who works with us on some jobs is, but he's so freakin' skilled it almost makes up for him being an insufferable prick once he puts his spurs on.
See if you could tolerate the insufferable prick if you had to work with him every day, I bet you couldn't, a positive attitude sure makes the day go nicely.

See if you could tolerate the insufferable prick if you had to work with him every day, I bet you couldn't, a positive attitude sure makes the day go nicely.

I worked with him often after the ice storm of '98 and for a few years after. Took a while to be able to judo his negativity because he was so skilled at it. Once it got to the point where I could and did just say "Ehhh, stuff it up your azz" when he was being a prick, it got better. But I had to be on the job for a while before I could speak to him like that. He had been there for years as a climber and I was a new groundman.

We're working with him tomorrow and I'm sure the phrase "Instant prick - just add spurs" will be spoken at least once. And I have some computer parts he wants, so he'll at least have to pretend to be civil. 😄

I worked with him often after the ice storm of '98 and for a few years after. Took a while to be able to judo his negativity because he was so skilled at it. Once it got to the point where I could and did just say "Ehhh, stuff it up your azz" when he was being a prick, it got better. But I had to be on the job for a while before I could speak to him like that. He had been there for years as a climber and I was a new groundman.

We're working with him tomorrow and I'm sure the phrase "Instant prick - just add spurs" will be spoken at least once. And I have some computer parts he wants, so he'll at least have to pretend to be civil. 😄
A Narcissist, you think?

A Narcissist, you think?

Not really, just a schmuck.

When he's not working he's a lot of fun and has a savage sense of humour. But as soon as he starts working he becomes obnoxious. And grounding for him is a nightmare because he thinks you should be able to read his mind and the situation so as not to have to communicate with words at all. That's not great when you have the ropes and the pulleys in play and there are breakables - including me - below. 😮 Ack!

Not really, just a schmuck.

When he's not working he's a lot of fun and has a savage sense of humour. But as soon as he starts working he becomes obnoxious. And grounding for him is a nightmare because he thinks you should be able to read his mind and the situation so as not to have to communicate with words at all. That's not great when you have the ropes and the pulleys in play and there are breakables - including me - below. 😮 Ack!
I know the type that won't tell you what he wants, he just looks at you and gets mad if you can't read his mind! Usually it's a bigger saw.

I know the type that won't tell you what he wants, he just looks at you and gets mad if you can't read his mind! Usually it's a bigger saw.

I've been doing this for 25 years and I know at least a little about it, and communication is key. You need it for efficiency, for safety, and just for the sake of getting along. The job is hard enough without working with a scowling slice of melba toast.

That's why my climber and I get along. Good communication in the trees. Clearly spoken words - in two languages no less - hand signals, and predictability of movement. Changes the game entirely.

I've been doing this for 25 years and I know at least a little about it, and communication is key. You need it for efficiency, for safety, and just for the sake of getting along. The job is hard enough without working with a scowling slice of melba toast.

That's why my climber and I get along. Good communication in the trees. Clearly spoken words - in two languages no less - hand signals, and predictability of movement. Changes the game entirely.
The hand signals drive me nuts when he makes up a new one on the spot and expects me to know what the hell it means!

I'd like to think as long as I adhere to the basic safety principles and consume good content from people like August, Buckin, Zaccheus, etc. I can still get a lot out of climbing on my own (nothing wrong with just getting more reps in while I'm here) but you guys have a point. There's definitely a handful of C U Next Tuesdays here too.

Went up 65 feet to install a cable today and did pretty good, nothing too crazy.

Back