What are some signs of a bad company to work for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the tides may be changing. My supervisor is actually making more of an effort to train his employees with this "climbing boot camp" he's running over the next few weeks. We'll see how it goes. He's a really good climber himself but he hardly ever interacts with us.

Way back when (35 years ago) when I owned a tree service in Ohio, I climbed all of them. Still have my harness spurs and ropes hanging in the garage. Not any more. Too dam old now.

All I have left from my climbing days is the ring that's now on the end of my 461. And that gets used when I pass it up to my climber.

But it's still my ring. 😠

I didn’t know you climbed?

I started 50/50 ground and climbing right after the '98 ice storm. Everyone was given (pushed) a chance because we desperately needed climbers to work in Montreal. And you don't know who is a good climber until you throw him into a tree. I was okay at best but far too slow, And some days I would freeze up and that was that. Decent in the bucket, but nothing special.
But on the ground I'm a ******* legend. :muscle:

A Narcissist, you think?

Worked with the schmuck climber today. And he was true to form. 100% schmuck.

He'd ask for something, I'd yell back "hold on", and he would invariably start chirping in his dry ass sarcastic tone. "I am holding on. I am holding on to the tree. Or was there something else I should hold on to?"

And of course I yelled back, "Try holding on to your embarrassingly small cock." That shut him up for about a minute. The whole day was like that.

Climbers are such a pain in the ass. :rolleyes:

Worked with the schmuck climber today. And he was true to form. 100% schmuck.

He'd ask for something, I'd yell back "hold on", and he would invariably start chirping in his dry ass sarcastic tone. "I am holding on. I am holding on to the tree. Or was there something else I should hold on to?"

And of course I yelled back, "Try holding on to your embarrassingly small cock." That shut him up for about a minute. The whole day was like that.

Climbers are such a pain in the ass. :rolleyes:
I know, they seem to be temperamental as all hell. I have seen way worse than that. So how long did it take you to get him what he wanted, a minute or so? I'm surprised he didn't go right back at you again after the retort! Does this go on the whole time?

I know, they seem to be temperamental as all hell. I have seen way worse than that. So how long did it take you to get him what he wanted, a minute or so? I'm surprised he didn't go right back at you again after the retort! Does this go on the whole time?

Never takes long to get what the climber wants. I'm used to sending them up their Chardonnay and breath mints so it's no big deal.

And yes it went on the whole time. He is insufferable. But at lunch and after work he's fine. Totally normal and easy to get along with. Put him in a tree and he's a complete a-hole. No matter what you say, you get a smartass response.

I need one of those javelin missiles you guys send to Ukraine. I'd take him right out of the tree. 💥

Never takes long to get what the climber wants. I'm used to sending them up their Chardonnay and breath mints so it's no big deal.

And yes it went on the whole time. He is insufferable. But at lunch and after work he's fine. Totally normal and easy to get along with. Put him in a tree and he's a complete a-hole. No matter what you say, you get a smartass response.

I need one of those javelin missiles you guys send to Ukraine. I'd take him right out of the tree. 💥
Maybe he's still afraid of heights and relieving stress lol

Ha! :laugh:

In truth, he's the most skilled climber I've ever worked with. He's incredibly good. Except that he's terrible at communicating and endlessly sarcastic and insulting.

So you have the best climber... that no one wants to work with.
Man they must all be cut from the same mold, I know one just like that, he gets better late in the day and all!

It's perfect to learn rigging off Youtube until you face your first "Oh ****!" moment.

Then it's all real life. :surprised3:
I know that one first hand!
never had a big mess up tho, sometimes its best to just stop and think, maybe come down and take lunch, and assess the situation.

Back