What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Bro finished and hung the shelves.
IMG_3773.jpgIMG_3774.jpgIMG_3775.jpg

The tan looking dog is supposedly part "Dingo" - native Australian dog.
His name is Moorditj which means "Tough guy" in the local indigenous language.
This is a bit of a joke because he is very gentle and affectionate which casts considerable doubt on the part Dingo theory as they are very wary/aloof dogs.

My Bro finished and hung the shelves.
View attachment 975291View attachment 975292View attachment 975293

The tan looking dog is supposedly part "Dingo" - native Australian dog.
His name is Moorditj which means "Tough guy" in the local indigenous language.
This is a bit of a joke because he is very gentle and affectionate which manes me think is probably not Dingo as they are very aloof dogs.
That is a fanfreakintastic shelving unit.

I don't usually keep track of the slabs I sell but just before Xmas last year a young couple bought 3 slabs from me and I worked out pretty quickly they were on the "green side of wood working" and needed help.What they wanted to do was make some "rustic side" tables, and a long coffee table for their living room.
For a start they turned up with a small Hyundai hatchback hoping to fit 8 ft long slabs in the trunk with the back seat down. I ended up delivering the slabs for them with my van as they lived only a few blocks from my place.
Then they had no tools and didn't really know what they needed, but were prepared to buy some as they wanted to continue with woodworking, so advised them on tools, methods etc.
Anyway I was keen to see how they would get on so I asked them to send me any photos of completed products and yesterday they sent me this.
The legs were something they bought on-line.
Coffetable.jpg
Not bad for green woodworkers, even though it took them a lot longer than they anticipated.

The only thing I had to buy was the landscape timber for porch posts and door hinges. Had everything else. Got about $40 in it. Could have cut something for the porch posts but was as the lumber yard and they were only $3 each.

I spent the weekend doing a project for the wife. Hopefully it won't take me much more to get it finished. Just a simple display bench to put pictures etc on/in
3634522482095a4241865420d54581fa.jpg
c4d8be514743312c72c3137715d04975.jpg
f8e1a4b6b9b123800f853986d171afde.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

These reminds me of this planter box put together by an 85 year old member of our Local Community Mens shed. (A community shop run by the local city council for retired fellas who need a bit of company or just a place to hang out and make/fix stuff).
There are quite a few members that are retired country folk who end up in retirement villages or aged care facilities - these blokes are dying to get into a shop and make stuff. The fella who put the planter box together had been an artillery armourer in the British Army and could do just about anything in wood or metal.
I milled the timber for him from a local small Spotted Gum (Eucalypt) tree.
2015-06-13-14.12.32.jpg
2015-07-10-18.02.58.jpg

Currently making up a fireplace mantelpiece out of a slab of Red Oak I milled from a tree that blew down behind the house. 6' L x 11 1/2" at it widest point x 3 3/4" thick. Just got finished apply stain. I was tempted to see how well a lots of coats of BLO, Varnish, & Mineral Spirits would darken it naturally but opted to give it a jump start with an Early American stain.

Photo is of the bottom with cut-outs for the existing supports. Working it now even though it's not completely dry. I filled the existing cracks with a flexible marine epoxy. Any new ones that show up will just add a bit of rustic to it. I just hope it stay s pretty straight. A bit of an experiment with fingers crossed.

20220411_171218.jpg

20220411_182045.jpg

Back