What chain for Stihl MS362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieguy77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a Stihl MS362 that's about 8 years old or so and I have been running Oregon 72 LGX chain 3/8 on a 20" Stihl bar. The bar part # is 3003 008 8921. Went to pick up some new chain today and the kid at the Stihl dealer tells me I need to make sure I run green chain with a green bar. This was the first time I ever heard that so I gave Stihl customer service a call. For some time they were not quite certain as to what chain to recommend.

I thought I might have better luck here asking a few questions if someone has the time to read through my boring post.

What is the part number for the "yellow chain" for my saw?

Between the Stihl 33RS3 72 (Green chain) and the Oregon 72 LGX which is the better chain? Is the LGX more aggressive? Am I splitting hairs even thinking about it?

Finally, I decided to try the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener. It seems to work pretty well and Oregon said it will work on their chain despite their 3/8 calling for a 7/32 file. I thought that was interesting.

Thank you for any help and I am happy to clarify anything that I didn't explain well.

Bobby

The 33RS3 is reduced kickback and lower vibration I think. The Oregon LGX is not.

I use the LGX and I’m pretty happy with it. The antivibe system that’s on an MS362 is already buttery smooth, so a reduced vibration chain wouldn’t be very important to me. I haven’t used the 33RS3 before, but I hear reduced kickback chain makes for very slow plunge cuts. There’ll be a tiny bit more work filing down the double raker when that time comes. The LGX is probably a little less expensive.

If you’re using it for firewood and general limbing and bucking, you’ll probably get by just fine with either, but I’d pick the LGX.

Y’all correct me if I’m wrong about any of that.

Thank you very much for the response. This is actually the first chain that I recall ever having the double raker that I have used. It was a freebie so I don't mind giving it a shot but I am having a heck of a time finding a non-safety chain from Stihl. Definitely don't mind the LGX but I would love to get a part # for the yellow chain. Naturally, I would have thought that Stihl would be able to help me with that.

Fast cutting chain for experienced users,

91s1XQ0mLBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oregon 72 LGX is really hard to beat. But post #4 is truly a high-end alternative if you can find it these days. So is Husqvarna X-cut, top rated in my book. Neither one carries a double raker.

BTW, your MS362 is now eight years old? I guess time flies. I'll talk to my MS361 today and let her know. She might hesitate to start if I tell her that. She never has balked at startup and never bogs down in the cut.

Went to pick up some new chain today and the kid at the Stihl dealer tells me I need to make sure I run green chain with a green bar.

Finally, I decided to try the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener. It seems to work pretty well and Oregon said it will work on their chain despite their 3/8 calling for a 7/32 file. I thought that was interesting.
The kid doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Ignore him.
Stihl generally recommends 13/64 for 3/8 chain but 7/32 will work fine as well.
I generally start with 13/64 then go up to 7/32 when I start getting close to the witness marks.

Thank you all for the replies. The Kid was goofy for sure and so smug. I think the old girl is about 8, maybe even more. For some reason years seem to sort of blend together after turning 45. I was also able to find this locally which I assume is pretty much the same as what you have posted Pioneerguy?

Attachments

• Stihl Chain.jpeg
    Stihl Chain.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you all for the replies. The Kid was goofy for sure and so smug. I think the old girl is about 8, maybe even more. For some reason years seem to sort of blend together after turning 45. I was also able to find this locally which I assume is pretty much the same as what you have posted Pioneerguy?

Yes that`s good chain, I run it on all my saws above 60 cc up to 90 cc. Fast cutting and holds an edge very well in our clean green wood.

Yes, Stihl 33RS is the yellow version of the RS3 green chain you noted.

I think 33RS is slightly better than LGX due to edge retention.
LGX is way better than RS3 safety chain, for folks comfortable with non safety.

I've used quite a bit of Oregon 72LX. Seems to require sharpening more than Stihl chain. But at one point it was also quite a bit less expensive.

I would like to try Oregon 72EXL and Husqvarna X-Cut. Two new chains that were released since I last bought a box of LGX. X-Cut is supposed to be very good.

I also like the 2-in-1 sharpener. It's worked well for me, I have 3 different sizes now.

He was pretty smug too. I was looking for another chain and he matter of factly told me that they didn't have it. Went over to his little touchscreen kiosk and showed me the part number.......30 seconds later I pulled it from the shelf handed it to him and he told me that wasn't the right chain. Of course he was wrong again but he was "really tired" and at this point, so was I

Latest posts

Back