What cool tools will arborists be using 150 years from now...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Gr8Scott and I were chatting about our little skid steer machines - his RC30 and my Bobcat Mt-50. It's pretty amazing what these little machines can lift and move. It's pretty amazing what chippers and stump grinders and all the technology we have today can do.

My girls are into the 'Little House on the Prairie' books. We read a chapter every night. When you think about what the settlers had to do to dig out a stump or to cut and move logs 150 years ago, it's just crazy how much easier we have it today compared to then. Chainsaws, forestry harvesters, tub grinders, spider lifts - just having aluminum and plastic as materials to build tools with vs using heavier wood and steel.

It's somewhat mind boggling to think about the technology that will be available in another 150 years..."Hey, Joe, hand me the ms3000 light saber will ya. Oh, and crank up the particle deatomizer so we can get rid of some of these branches. Careful not to deatomize yourself..."

That would be a good discovery program for Mike Rowe to look into - "Dirty Jobs of the future."

Other than spaceship mechanics, did anyone notice a single service person working in any of the Star Wars movies? Apparently, George Lucas doesn't see much of a need for arborists in the future. Now, wouldn't it have been interesting had Luke Skywalker been an apprenticing arborist rather than a farmer - flying around with his jet pack on hacking away at trees with a light saber. After all, wouldn't that have made more sense as to why he was good with a light saber as a Jedi? Yes, I realize that his planet had few if any trees. He must not have been much of a farmer if he couldn't even keep a single tree growing around his house. :monkey:

So i pose the question - where will arboriculture be in 150 years? What cool new tools and methods will we have at our disposal that will make today's arboriculture practices seem as antiquated as digging out a stump by hand or moving logs by mule? (which I realize are both still done today...)

I would venture a guess that robotics will play a huge part in what we do everyday. Not sure about the cutting implements but I'm envisioning a robotic spider that shoots tiny ropes or "webs" with grapple hooks that it can reel in to traverse to different parts of the tree while the "climber" stands on the ground with a remote control.

I was kind of thinking of a crane/bucket truck with a saw and a grapple on it. Would eliminate someone in the air all together.

As for the chippers and grinders, i don't know how much they can improve what they already have. You can only improve and advance those machines so much, i'll bet what evers next will be something completely new if they do change.

Maybe a crane that can hook the slings itself, and then a lighter fiberglass boom with an articulating saw head, mounted on the same truck.

Now that would be pretty cool.

Of course its gonna be a long time before a machine can fine prune.

Maybe a crane that can hook the slings itself, and then a lighter fiberglass boom with an articulating saw head, mounted on the same truck.

Now that would be pretty cool.

That's a neat idea. I'd imagine technology like that isn't too far over the horizon right now. It will be some time till it's affordable though.

There are already functioning prototypes for exoskeleton mechanical lifter suits that fit the human body. They're just electric motors that turn pivots near the elbows, legs, and back that are controlled by a hair of motion from the body part of the person. It makes it so the person can haul 500+ pounds of brush to the chipper in one pace.

The army sees it as a future program to keep the soldiers from fatiguing during durations of labor so as to keep them battle ready more.

Anti-gravity modules placed on any limb to be removed, nano-mites make the cut, the arborist controls the nano-crew, the modules, and the limb via virtual command helmet that looks like a baseball cap with sunglasses.

As the limbs are placed in the yard, more nano-mites reduce it to powder finer than sawdust, so the vermiculture in the organic lawn soil immediately convert it too plant food.

The entire operation fits in an anti grav capable vehicle the size of ford ranger. The noise output is less than conversational level, the injury to people/property is no longer an occurance due to such modernization.
Can be done day or night.

The nano mites can also root out any infestations and place medicines precisely where the tree needs it to maintain peak vigor.

People will be amazed when touring the museums that indicate the methods used in the 20th century.

That's a neat idea. I'd imagine technology like that isn't too far over the horizon right now. It will be some time till it's affordable though.

Thanks, I thought so too.

I figure then once I'm done with that truck, latter on I'll swing back by with the grapple truck and chip it all up into bio chips (or whatever they call it), then off to the eco-friendly chip dump where I collect more money.

No employees, no w/c, no headaches.

I was kind of thinking of a crane/bucket truck with a saw and a grapple on it. Would eliminate someone in the air all together.

48trees.jpg

What blows my mind is the mag's 70+ years old. has anyone ever seen one of those things in real life or did it never leave the design/prototype stage?

Iam kinda big into computers and Simulations.. Already got dual flight controls, head tracking vr unit so you can turn your head and it does the same on screen. I really for see in the future 1-2 people making up the crew. The operator drives up in a rig with Ag flotation tires, gets out and deploys the outriggers. Puts on a VR helmet with 2 vr gloves. The rig deploys the grapple boom up and the operator does all of the cutting and operations of the grapple boom on the ground including chipping operations on the same rig.. Ohh.. the 2nd person of the crew is wearing a rotating caution light on his head to keep traffic clear of the operation :) Really the software and tech is available to do this now.. its just the $$ holding it back

Last edited:
There are already functioning prototypes for exoskeleton mechanical lifter suits that fit the human body. They're just electric motors that turn pivots near the elbows, legs, and back that are controlled by a hair of motion from the body part of the person. It makes it so the person can haul 500+ pounds of brush to the chipper in one pace.

The army sees it as a future program to keep the soldiers from fatiguing during durations of labor so as to keep them battle ready more.

Been reading up on this. 1 person can lift 200 + lb blocks or ammo boxes repeaditly and no fatigue. Only issue is the power supply....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4J69EEpu4&feature=player_embedded#

Back